adjusting kickdown cable | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

adjusting kickdown cable

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
Hey everyone. Iv been doing alot of highway driving lately, and I notice that when im doing over 50 MPH, and I step on it to pass someone, my tranny doesnt downshift and I am unable to quickly speed up. But, when im doing under 50 and I step on it, It downshifts nicely. Would it hurt if I stuck a zip tie or two on the tranny kickdown cable so it would downshift quicker and easier? I already have done the throttle cable mod, but I never put any zip ties on my kickdown cable. Any input would be great.
thanks,
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
Also, with being on the subjuct of transmissions, I was wondering if anyone has installed a B&M ShiftPlus shift kit on the A4LD tranny. Iv been thinking about getting one, and I was wondering what everyone thinks of how the tranny shifts after installing it.
thanks again,
Andy

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
Hushkyfan23 was selling a B&M ShiftPlus shift kit look in the buy,sale trade section.
The kickdown cable is self adjusting, you could try resetting the cable by pushing the button down on top of the cable and then pulling the cable out a little, then stepping on the pedal then it is set.
Joe

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
I ordered a B&M ShiftPlus shift kit from truckperformance.com this morning.

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
After you get the kit installed post back here and let me know how you liked it.
Joe

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
ok, I will