Advance Adapters 700R4 Conversion Parts Available NOW!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advance Adapters 700R4 Conversion Parts Available NOW!!!

CoryL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
We've been waiting a long time for these parts and they are now available!

That tired A4LD can be tossed aside for a much more reliable 700R4 GM transmission. With the lowest first gear out of all automatics and OD, it is the most sought after automatic transmission. From rock crawlers to daily drivers, it will be a substantial upgrade.

This kit is designed to work with the 700R4 that came behind a 2.8L GM motor. There are two parts you need.

1) The Bellhousing Kit. This kit comes with a new bellhousing adapter plate, torque converter adapter ring, crank bushing, necessary hardware, and instructions.

2) The Transfer Case Kit. This kit comes with a new output shaft for the transmission and the transfer case adapter.

Using both will allow you to keep your stock driveshafts and transmission crossmember.

You may need slight exhaust modifications.

You will be required to purchase a torque converter lock-up kit and TV kickdown cable. The TV cable and bracket are available from Bowtie Overdrive (760) 947-5240.

This will also allow you to use different transfer cases. If you wanted to run a Bronco D20 you now can. Likewise, you could run a flipped Jeep D300 t-case.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/50-8410--gm-700r4-to-brog-warner-1350-adapter-kit/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YESSS Great to see this available. Is this using the torque converter from the a4 or the 700r? If I had the cash right now I would already have this from you. SOON

Cory,

Couple of questions to clarify a few things

WHat happens to my floor shifter, I have the floor shifter from a 84 Bronco II with the bell crank and shift linkage (not the Explorer column mount cable shift). I assume the plan would be to install an aftermarket shifter that matches the 700R4 shift pattern (Same as A4LD?)

What wiring or computer changes are required?

How is the new kick down cable installed? to the TB or to the pedal?

Just curious. When my A4LD kicks it I was planning to run a C5/4 but I may opt for the 700R4 due to the OD and the increased T case choices.

Also what modifications are considered "minimal" to the 60 - degree 700R4? Obviously its a good idea to rebuild it, but I have heard they are not much more reliable then an A4LD unless they are upgraded...

I also assume the price is cheaper for the bellhousing /converter adapter if you opt for a different T case?

Can there be a discount if we purchase an Atlas II at the same time as the adapter??

Thanks!!! This should prove to be a GOOD seller!!!

To my knowledge you need a TQ converter from a 700R4. The adapter ring is merely that small spacer that converts the pattern from the crank to the GM flexplate.

1) Floor shifter. Aftermarket for a 700R4 would probably be easier than anything else. They don't specify one way or the other if you can reuse your own shifter, but I would assume you cannot.

2) No computer modifications are needed. The only wiring you need to do is for the Neutral Safety Switch and they provide instructions on how to do that.

3) They do not provide the TV cable or bracket, but I would assume it goes to the TB.

4) From what I know of the 700R4s, make sure you get one built after 1987. Prior to that they were unreliable and not much better than the 700R4. Some things I know that most people do are installing a shift kit. reverse manual valve body, and a Corvette servo.

5) If you opt for a different t-case, possibly one that was a driver's side drop that came bolted to a 700R4 would mean only needing to purchase the bellhousing kit. That kit alone would run you $437.25.

If you wish to purchase both an Atlas 2 and this adapter, please call me and we can try to work something out.

Thanks Cory!

Yes I WISH to purchase an Atlas II along with the adapter and also along with a custom 700R4, maybe someday my wish will come true!!!

Merry X mas!

So we can Keep the Stock coloum shifter?

This is One thing I have bee wondering.

This is a question that I have always been asking, but yet to get an answer, Is this a replacement for the 4R55E too? I would think you would have to get a manual computer since the computer controls the tranny, but that would be the only difference. Will you need custom driveshafts? or will the dimensions work out to be all the same?

Todd that is a great question. Hopefully it will get answered. It may be that it has not yet been tried. As of today my 5th YES FIFTH a4ld is acting a little strange. The question is will it last long enouigh for the 302 or will I have to get this to hold me over

Originally posted by IAmTodd
This is a question that I have always been asking, but yet to get an answer, Is this a replacement for the 4R55E too? I would think you would have to get a manual computer since the computer controls the tranny, but that would be the only difference. Will you need custom driveshafts? or will the dimensions work out to be all the same?

Not sure on the computer. I will call them when we reopen and find out for sure. I think it would depend on if the computer needs the feedback from the tranny. If all the computer does is tell it how and when to shift, you shouldn't need a different one. If the computer gets feedback from the tranny in order to determine air/fuel mix based on gearing, then a manual comptuer may be needed.

I do know that you will not need custom driveshafts if you use the BW1350/4 t-case. The overall length is almost identical.

What GM transfer case options came with the 2.8 700r4?

Okay,

What are the other options w/o buying the tailhousing adapter or tailshaft?

Brett

Finally! This opens so many options related to the 700. Such as, torque converters, shift kits etc. One more question, I bet that you can use a non-lock up converter with the 700. Cool!:D

I've driven Kevin's Explorer (diffwhackdaddy). His was the first to have the 700R4 swap. That thing is sweet!! The 700R4 has a very low first gear ratio so it launches very hard. Shifts are very positive. Can't say enough good things about it :D

Rick do I see one in your future? :)

does anyone know if this will fit the Ford ranger 4.0 that came with the 4r55e trans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm. . .a Klune V will bolt to the 700R4. . .

3.06 x 4 x 4.3 x 4.88 =
a Crawl ratio of 256

:D

Back