AdvanceTrac Warning, C2777, ABS IVD Calibration Errors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AdvanceTrac Warning, C2777, ABS IVD Calibration Errors

bmdubya1198

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB 4x4
I'm trying to diagnose an AdvanceTrac issue on my '04 Explorer. The codes that are showing are C1998 (I know, just needs to be calibrated) and C2777 (sensor cluster bus failure). I went ahead and checked over all the values for yaw and acceleration, both of which were zeroed out while sitting stationary on level ground. As expected. I also checked the wheels speeds while driving around the neighborhood, which were all matched up as expected. However, while driving, the yaw and acceleration rates did not change. I didn't make any aggressive maneuvers, but I'd think that there may be some small movement.

I installed Forscan (great software, by the way) and got it working with my ELM327 bluetooth adapter, and I'm able to read codes. Everything seems to be working properly. I tried to run an ABS IVD calibration, and it just says "service procedure interrupted" after 7 seconds from starting the procedure.
Now, I know the code is for a bus failure, which could be either the connector not seated well or the sensor cluster that has failed, but if everything else on my ELM327 adapter is working, could that have anything to do with this error, and I just need to get a different adapter?

Assuming that's all working properly, I'm thinking that I'll just replace the sensor cluster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to diagnose an AdvanceTrac issue on my '04 Explorer. The codes that are showing are C1998 (I know, just needs to be calibrated) and C2777 (sensor cluster bus failure). I went ahead and checked over all the values for yaw and acceleration, both of which were zeroed out while sitting stationary on level ground. As expected. I also checked the wheels speeds while driving around the neighborhood, which were all matched up as expected. However, while driving, the yaw and acceleration rates did not change. I didn't make any aggressive maneuvers, but I'd think that there may be some small movement.

I installed Forscan (great software, by the way) and got it working with my ELM327 bluetooth adapter, and I'm able to read codes. Everything seems to be working properly. I tried to run an ABS IVD calibration, and it just says "service procedure interrupted" after 7 seconds from starting the procedure.
Now, I know the code is for a bus failure, which could be either the connector not seated well or the sensor cluster that has failed, but if everything else on my ELM327 adapter is working, could that have anything to do with this error, and I just need to get a different adapter?

Assuming that's all working properly, I'm thinking that I'll just replace the sensor cluster.
imo jts probably not the adapter i havent run into anything on my 2g that forscan couldnt do. that was until recently, cant run some service procedures like recalibrating for tires now. i will say im running windows 7 wil try again with 10 to see if that resolves it, since im betting on it being a windows issue. will come back to update this if it works or not. hoping it does.

I went ahead and ordered a Veepeak USB Forscan-compatible cable, so we’ll see if that does the trick. Either way, I’m going to yank the console and ensure the connector is seated properly on the sensor cluster and any grounds are clean.
Now that I’m thinking about it, it may be bad. I’m sure plenty of stuff has spilled on it over the years, judging by the condition of the traction control button when I got the truck.

Alright, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but where is the AdvanceTrac sensor cluster? I can't find it anywhere. Just the restraint module under the console.

I tried the VeePeak cable as well, and that did the same thing my generic ELM327 adapter did. I'd like to see if I can find this sensor cluster/yaw sensor/acceleration sensor before going any farther though.

Update... I did some more reading, and looked back at the picture I took when I had the interior out of the truck to clean the carpet. I can't see where the sensor cluster could possibly be. Apparently this is only on the trucks with RSC? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist here?
Which leads me to my next question... why would this code be present if I don't even have RSC? I would assume that there is a yaw/acceleration sensor somewhere in the truck just for the AdvanceTrac.

I was able to locate the sensor cluster, it is under the second row middle seat. Just had to pull up the carpet that is already cut out. I ran to the junkyard to find a replacement, but unfortunately I couldn't find one.
The sensor body looks pretty crusty, and considering that this truck previously had a sunroof leak, I wouldn't be surprised if it had some water damage.

Well, finding a replacement IVD sensor is proving to be a pain. The part number doesn't seem to exist on the internet, and I haven't had any luck finding a 2004-2005 4x4 with Advancetrac in junkyards. I was able to find one 2005 RWD with RSC.
Does anybody know cross compatibility on these sensors? I know for a fact that the RSC version will not work (mounted differently and a different connector) but from what I can find, the Expedition (and I assume Navigator) should be the same.

Hello bmdubya, I think I am in the same boat. I just posted in another thread. The part number under 2nd row middle seat carpet from my truck is 3L24-3C296-CA. Is this what your's says as well??? Went to junk yard and found 2003 Eddie Bauer that seemed to be equipped the same as mine. Pulled out the seat, pulled up the carpet, nothing like this existed to my dismay. Cannot understand why the junkyard car does not have a location for this, nor the part. Cannot find ANYTHING on this part number on internet. My mechanic says maybe 2003 Ford Explorers made in Canada have it under the console. My car is made in USA, but did not think to check the door jamb on the one at the junkyard. Frustrating not to be able to find a part or a refurbished/alternative part!!!!! Anyone have any ideas? Help?!!

Yup, that's the exact same part number as mine. I've also had a hell of a time trying to find a replacement.
From what I can tell, the Mountaineer and Aviator as well as the Expedition and Navigator should have this same sensor, assuming it's Advancetrac without RSC, and 4x4. I believe the year range on the Explorers are 2002-2004, and 2003-2004 for the Expedition. From what I can tell, the 2005+ models all have RSC.

Thanks for the info!!! Strange how the internet has never heard of this item? You'd think at some point people have talked about this online, and parts sites would have stocked them at some point. Hmmmm... Would you have a hunch as to why the Junkyard 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer never had this part installed nor a reserved place in the floor under the middle 2nd row seat? I mean, the floor is just painted metal on the junkyard one, and my floor body was built with a purpose built place for this part. Seems weird to me. Mine is a 2003 Explorer and I assumed they all had advancetrac. Is there a way to tell by looking at a junkyard vehicle if it has advancetrac and/or should definitely have this part? Not looking to pull another seat out for no reason because it is honestly quite a pain for no reward.

Yeah, I've been thinking this the whole time... there is practically zero info on this part, which seems very strange to me.
All Explorers with AdvanceTrac have a badge on the tailgate, so that's an easy tell. Also the traction control button on the console. If it doesn't have either of those, it won't have a sensor.
I'm with you though, it seems strange that they wouldn't all have mounting studs for them.

I guess maybe I will keep searching for a salvage part. Your information has been helpful to me, and I appreciate that. Agreed on the mounting area as well. If you have only luck sourcing the part for sale, and if you think about it, please let us know. I will do the same.

Will do, thanks! Hopefully this thread can help out others who are having a hard time with this part as well!

Finally got this sorted! I lucked out and found a sensor today! I just decided to check out the Ford section at the junkyard while I was there for BMW parts, not thinking they would have anything, and lo and behold I found a 2003 Expedition 4x4 with AdvanceTrac. It's mounted differently than the Explorer (below the center console, near the cup holder area on a different style bracket) but functionality o be the same.
It's part number 2C54-3C187-AF. After plugging it in and running the IVD calibration in Forscan, the warning went away and all is well.

Wanted to give a shout out to bmdubya1198. Update.... I followed his advice from above Sept. 20 2022 and worked like a charm. Can't thank him enough!!!! This forum seems like a great place to come with questions and to gain/share knowledge. I am not one to post much of anything on forums, but I am glad I joined and will pass along this site to others. I am posting this today in hopes that this other part number can be of more help to others in the future. Thanks again!

Back