Advantages of using an oil catch can! Here's the proof. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advantages of using an oil catch can! Here's the proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With that said and there is no down side, why not put one in?

Why not put two in? Well, maybe not for the 2.3, but for a V-engine might as well have on per side. Maybe even a third one (as a backup).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason that Ford Engineers didn't put Oil Catch Cans on the EcoBoost equipped vehicles is maintenance related.

Peter
I don't buy that excuse from Ford. For all I know the bean counters told them they won't spend the money to install them. Another reason I don't buy Ford's excuse is a catch can can be designed to be maintenance free by draining what is caught back into the crankcase. This eliminates the need for maintenance.

We know that pre dual port injection GDI engines have issues with severe carbon deposits on intake values. This happens not just with Fords but many other makes. My sister's Ecoboost Escape had carbon buildup so bad the engine wouldn't run properly. The cost to clean the intake valves was so expensive that she traded it in on a RAV4.

All one has to do is search for intake valve carbon buildup on GDI engines on YouTube. The results will give proof that pulling oil through the PVC system causes major problems for non dual port GDI engines. Time will tell if dual port injection solves this problem. I know a catch can will solve it to a large extent.

Ford wants to make money to sell cars. Ford would go bankrupt if catch cans would be installed on all of their vehicles. Ford makes money from a lot of current customers that have engine issues and need expensive repairs and some would just trade in to get a different car.

The current gen 3.0 would go for 200K miles easily because the engine is good and and there are no issues with coolant leaking and mixing with oil like it did in a previous gen.

Ford wants to make money to sell cars. Ford would go bankrupt if catch cans would be installed on all of their vehicles. Ford makes money from a lot of current customers that have engine issues and need expensive repairs and some would just trade in to get a different car.

The current gen 3.0 would go for 200K miles easily because the engine is good and and there are no issues with coolant leaking and mixing with oil like it did in a previous gen.
If I were buying a 6th gen Explorer and wanted the most life from it I would pick the 3.3L hybrid engine. It is N/A and won't suffer the turbo failure(s) the ecoboost engines are going to see well before 200k miles is reached. The hybrid will eventually have battery issues but I would rather deal with it than possibly two turbo failures along with a possible engine failure. Especially if the engine is not under warranty. European automakers started building in planned obsolescence back in the 2000s. Most manufacturers (Toyota and Honda excluded, IMO) have followed suite. Ten years, or so, down the road the cost of many repairs will equal, or exceed, the vehicles value. Vehicles being "repair totaled" is becoming more and more common.

Also, if I bought a new vehicle these days I would be maniacal with fluid changes. I wouldn't follow manufacturers recommendations. Especially for the transmission. Replacing, or repairing, today's 8-10 speed transmissions will be hella expensive. Ford says transmission fluid is "lifetime" or 150k miles. They say coolant is good for 200k miles. I wouldn't go more than 50k-60k miles without a transmission pan drop and filter replacement. Or more than 100k miles for coolant. Ford doesn't even recommend a maintenance interval for Explorer differentials and transfer cases. I would change all these fluids every 100k miles. Sooner if I towed anything heavy regularly.

Every time I see posts like this it makes me glad that I lease my vehicles. ;)

Peter

Every time I see posts like this it makes me glad that I lease my vehicles. ;)
How many miles do you get on a lease these days over how many years? What is the cost for going over the the included miles? Also, with you being up north the rust issues probably making leasing even more practical.

How many miles do you get on a lease these days over how many years? What is the cost for going over the the included miles?
I never go over or even get close to the mileage limit even on my lower mileage lease. In my case it is 16 cents per kilometre in excess of 64,130 kilometres ( just under 40k miles). My lease is for 48 months which is also the duration of the warranty. Because of the low mileage I put on my vehicles, I've never reached the end of a lease yet. I expect the dealership to begin exploring new vehicle options just after the 36 month period. That is what happened with my 2017 Platinum which had 11, 921 Kilometres (7400 miles) on it exactly at the 3 year mark when I got into the Aviator. I will have had the Aviator 2 years on October 31 and have just over 3100 miles on it. It would have been a little more were it not for the pandemic. ;)

Peter

I never go over or even get close to the mileage limit even on my lower mileage lease. In my case it is 16 cents per kilometre in excess of 64,130 kilometres ( just under 40k miles). My lease is for 48 months which is also the duration of the warranty. Because of the low mileage I put on my vehicles, I've never reached the end of a lease yet. I expect the dealership to begin exploring new vehicle options just after the 36 month period. That is what happened with my 2017 Platinum which had 11, 921 Kilometres (7400 miles) on it exactly at the 3 year mark when I got into the Aviator. I will have had the Aviator 2 years on October 31 and have just over 3100 miles on it. It would have been a little more were it not for the pandemic. ;)
What is your main reason for leasing? Considering how many miles you drive in a year, a new vehicle would last you for decades and probably would be less expensive than leasing in the long term. Do you get bored with them and want something new every 3-4 years? With such low miles you drive I would think that repairs would be few and far between for many, many years.

What is your main reason for leasing? Considering how many miles you drive in a year, a new vehicle would last you for decades and probably would be less expensive than leasing in the long term. Do you get bored with them and want something new every 3-4 years? With such low miles you drive I would think that repairs would be few and far between for many, many years.

Yeah, leasing was too expensive. I basically gave a little over 20K for a 3 year lease on a 2016 Explorer sport. At the end someone was really lucky to buy my Sport Explorer for like 40 percent off from MSRP only when a car was 3 years old maybe even a better deal.

I like to get newer vehicles both for their updated looks and features and warranty. So far I haven't had any out-of-pocket repairs as the vehicles are always under warranty. I don't have any other big expenses so I like to 'treat' myself every few years.

Peter

Reactions: rnc

I like to get newer vehicles both for their updated looks and features and warranty. So far I haven't had any out-of-pocket repairs as the vehicles are always under warranty. I don't have any other big expenses so I like to 'treat' myself every few years.

Peter
If I lived up north in salt country as I call it, I would only lease vehicles due to corrosion. You are a smart man in my opinion, no way would I ever buy a car in salt country. Unless of course it was a seasonal no salt car that was garaged during the winter.

If I were buying a 6th gen Explorer and wanted the most life from it I would pick the 3.3L hybrid engine. It is N/A and won't suffer the turbo failure(s) the ecoboost engines are going to see well before 200k miles is reached. The hybrid will eventually have battery issues but I would rather deal with it than possibly two turbo failures along with a possible engine failure.

I'll give you an even better solution. Buy the base PIU which is the only Explorer available with the 3.3 WITHOUT Hybrid.

I'll give you an even better solution. Buy the base PIU which is the only Explorer available with the 3.3 WITHOUT Hybrid.
That is even better! Can a civilian order this model or just law enforcement?

A civilian can't normally, but you know what they say about rules...

You could buy this very slightly used one, for instance.

That doesn't seem like a bad price considering it has less than 5k miles on it. It looks a little spartan inside but I guess that is to be expected with a PIU.

After about 800 miles of driving.

20210923_174158.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back