Adventure Camping build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adventure Camping build

Overlanding, Expedition vehicle, Adventure rig, Family wheeler.. call it what you want, but I need some ideas for the next build. So decipher my ramblings below and add your suggestions/ideas/thoughts/examples/pics/etc..

My 1993 Sport is officially entering 'no longer able to attempt at being street legal' phase so the planning of a road friendly adventure vehicle is beginning. I will most likely be retaining my D44, Duff arms, 8.8 and 37s for the new build and although I have some ideas for a platform in mind I would like to get some of your thoughts/ideas.

I have a 1997 V8 Explorer which gives me a great drivetrain, comfort, room for the family or the ability to sleep in the rig. I have been eyeing up ext. cab Rangers as well as I like the idea of having a bed to haul gear or build a sleeping platform off of but it makes bringing our son a chore with the small back seat. A sport trac gives me both the room and the bed but the wheelbase feels like a boat on tight east coast trails.

My 44 is a narrowed HP housing and I have thought about taking all of the good bits from it and swapping into a full width housing. Same with the 8.8. Even with full width a mild flair will keep me mostly legal in my state.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going though a similar issue. My extended cab ranger is my wheeler and it's just too small if you want to bring a 3rd. Both of my son's are at the age they want to go with me (14 and 7) but the rear cab area isn't safe to sit and wheeling in bumpy situations. Only having the ranger and not an explorer to wheel in has held me back from going to some rides. Also exteded cab rangers have the same wheel base as a sport trac. My ranger rubs its belly on obstacles often.

Just like you I also have an extra v8 explorer (98 xlt) and am thinking of using it for my next rig. I also have 2 other younger daughters that also might want to join one day (2 year old twins). So with momma that makes 6 people, won't work in a 2nd gen. I've considered going to a 3rd gen but getting the center of gravity right with its frame setup will be fun.

I am leaning towards the 2nd gen V8 for the strong trans, torque of the 302 and wheelbase. The most daunting task with a 2nd gen would be the SAS, which does not need to happen right away I suppose.

I guess I should get it to my house and cleaned up. I may have just left it sitting at my parents for a few years. Oops. But theres some nostalgia, second in years of ownership next to the 2dr and its free, so thats a plus.

Ultimate goal is 44/8.8, 37s, hybrid cage, sliders, bumpers.. You can never be too safe.

I'd say 2nd gen, 4dr v8 explorer. Makes sense with everything you have already.

V8, without a doubt. Ample, reliable power. Stout transfer case available. The comfort of pushrods. Beefy trans. Plus, it’s cooler.

I vote v8. What's the flare width and tire coverage laws in wv?

It's been a while since I've read the actual code but something like max 4" flare, tires must be covered.

I have a BW4406 tcase and shifter assembly but am not a fan of the slip yoke. I would most likely run a np205 or other fixed yoke case.

This will be a sloww build as I am currently saving my pennies for some work on the 2dr wrinkly raisin. I have been taking my lunch to work and drinking bud light. Reminds me of my college years. On the plus side I will already have the axles, 37s and duff arms from the 2dr. The biggest hurdle will be finding a toyota ifs box for cheap and getting that set up. I do not want to run a remote oil filter so an outside the frame box will be a must. A buddy of mine is v8 and solid axle swapping a 2002 ranger currently so I can copy most of what he does on my own vehicle.

If when you get that 205 up in there be sure to take some pics of how you fit it. I probably will go with a 4406 at first with mine just cause it has been done but I am sure I will want some extra gearing that the 205/doublers can offer later

Since I brought it up earlier, lets talk about transfer case options. Like stated above I want to avoid a slip yoke at all cost. With that being said what have others done? I know the 4r70w uses the standard 6 bolt pattern but unless the universe is working against me I am not seeing many posts on options other than the bw4406 and np205. An atlas is out of the question as I have one taking up space under the 2dr and really do not want to spend that kind of money on this.

Bw1356 would be cool with a doubler of some sorts. 2.69:1 low but I am pretty sure it is too wide if I remember correctly.

5.0 4r70w np205

This will most likely be the direction I go unless persuaded otherwise. Only real downfall is the poor 1.96:1 low range. Then I travel the slipery doubler slope. But since this will not be a dedicated crawler I may be able to live with it.

The 4406 is just a smaller more compact 1356. Pretty sure both use magnesium cases also. Under a 4dr explorer you have a good bit of room and if you swapped you the gas tank out for one out of a sport there might be room for a doubler also. The 4406 is 2.72 to 1 I think. Only issue of the np cases is the weight, the trans mount is weak and it might crack the extension housing if you don't have enough mount under it to cushion it. The damage in pic was caused by a busted rear ujoint while driving with a 4406 swap.

20180129_181614.jpg

1.96 to 1 is probably okay with the v8. I’m thinking once you rehear you’ll have plenty of power. 1st in the 4r70w is pretty low.

The 4406 is just a smaller more compact 1356. Pretty sure both use magnesium cases also. Under a 4dr explorer you have a good bit of room and if you swapped you the gas tank out for one out of a sport there might be room for a doubler also. The 4406 is 2.72 to 1 I think. Only issue of the np cases is the weight, the trans mount is weak and it might crack the extension housing if you don't have enough mount under it to cushion it. The damage in pic was caused by a busted rear ujoint while driving with a 4406 swap.

Adding a sport tank was on my mental maybe list to achieve a doubler, only issue with that is I lose fuel capacity.
I have a manual 4406 and shifter assembly stored in my parts shed but the slip yoke leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Things have been at sort of a standstill since the 2dr is still at the spa getting a makeover but I haven't forgotten about this thread.

I plan on being in moab May 2019 with a small group of friends and am leaning towards getting something completed by this winter that I could drive out, wheel, camp, and drive back.

I still have my 44/8.8 although I would be using the good parts to build a fw 44/8.8 as the factory wedges on the fw 44 line up well with the 2nd gen frame width. I also, through some trading, got back the 203/205 ORD doubler I purchased a couple years back. I know I know.. doubler would be overkill.. but that's ok.

Keep us updated on the 203/205 doubler. I would like to see how this works out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have to use a Toyota steering box. You could just use the box out of your sport. That's what is in mine. It works fine.

What's the story with the Atlas though?o_O

Back