Advice: 2009 6 cyl/5spd auto or V8/6 spd auto? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Advice: 2009 6 cyl/5spd auto or V8/6 spd auto?

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
I've been looking for a new Explorer to replace my 1993 5spd manual (with over 250K miles). I have a line on a 2009 Eddie Bauer V8 with 126K miles - very well maintained, at a reasonable price. I don't know anything about the V8's, I only have experience with the 6 cyl engine (of course that is the pushrod engine) :)

I need opinions on reliability and costs of the V8/6spd auto and whether this could be a good around town, out-of-town and vacation vehicle. I won't be towing anything.

Thanks, group!!

David

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
Sounds good. have a boo at the exhaust manifold studs, they like to shear off in the heads, also the exhaust manifolds like to crack. Also find out when the spark plugs were changed. they like to snap off in the heads if left to long on some of the earlier ones, but being a 09 you might be alright. Sounds like a not bad rig though.

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Thanks, Tech By Trade!

<

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
I may sound like a broken record, but get the V8, better engine and better tranny.
Currently, I have 2 of them, an 07 v6, and 06 v8.

I bought the 07 very cheap this summer with a broken tranny 5r55s at only 117k miles.
I have had my 06 v8 for the past 9 years, and at 238k miles still running strong with the original 6r60.

Like Tech said, broken studs on the manifolds is the big pain on them. 09 did not have the spark plug issues anymore.

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Thanks, Explorer PL!

<

Christobal65

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer V8- 01 Miata
I absolutely recommend the V8 over the V6. Even with some of the niggling issues the 3V moduler motors have the 6R60 is a far better transmission than the 5R55.

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Thanks Christobal65!

<