Advice for engine swap 4.0 to 5.0

mcsteven

Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4DR 4X4 4.0L
OK,

I might be taking a small bit of my retirement plan to pay for this, but need to get the truck fixed and want to do a few things.

I've got:
1996 Ex XLT 4 dr, 4.0 L, Auto, 4x4.

I've got a few problems, and one might be either a valve issue or could be as simple as a bad coil pack. There are others as well. So, I'm considering an engine swap. I want the power and reliability of the 5.0, as well as the easy customization. I am also looking at buying another vehicle and selling my current one. Again, want a V8 (5.0 or if newer 4.6). Want the 4x4 and 4 doors (so with the V8 that rules out the Sport and Sport Trac).

Is there a better year for a V8 motor if I do a swap? I know that I'd rather have a donor Ex or Mounty since I'd have all the extra parts including an application specific transmission (wiring harness, larger motor mounts, maybe even the exhaust). And of course there would be the availability of some extra parts, then parting out the donor vehicle.

If I go with a different vehicle, does anyone have suggestions on a year for a different vehicle? Best year with a V8 (probably looking at 2nd gen, possibly 3rd)? I know the 3rd gen V8 had about 240 horses vs the 210/205 for the 2nd gen V8/SOHC V6

Lastly, if I do an engine swap, is there a qualified shop anyone can recommend in the Oakland, California bay area? I've got the Yellow Pages, etc but would rather do business with a recommended company or someone who participates here.

Thanks,
MCS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would ONLY buy the 5.0 truck, dont waste your time for a swap like that.

As far as what year of V8's are the best, I would say 99-01, the greatest of all second gens. All the updates and most the problems solved,a great motor and a great rear axle/suspension.
The 3rd gen exploders look pretty nice, I dont like the interior THAT much but its ok, I love the 4.6 but the rear suspension (independent rear suspension) and aluminum differential is absolute garbage.

don't swap

I would not consider swapping a 5.0 into a 4.0 4 door chassis since you can still buy a stock 4 door with the 5.0. They are just a little harder to find. I think the 1998 and later have a slightly heavier duty 4R70W transmission.

If you aren't attached to your truck that you have now, I would also suggest buying a 5.0 Explorer before doing a swap. If you do want to keep the truck you have then the best canidate for a swap into your 96 would be a 97 explorer or mountaineer.

I'm not really attached to my truck, though it has only 125K miles on it. And I'm the 2nd owner, and have what appears to be every single piece of paperwork on it for the maintenance, etc.

I have been thinking the same thing re: no swap just a different vehicle, but I haven't found a V8 with the few options I do want at a reasonable price with reasonable mileage. I'm finding ones with 200K miles for $4,000. And I'm laughing as I walk away. But I'm still looking. I'm not too choosy on the options. I of course want 4x4, AC, auto, all the power options. I would prefer cloth interior instead of leather, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Right now I've got power driver and passenger seats, and it would be nice to have those again. The type of radio doesn't really matter nor most other steering mounted controls, etc.

Well, looking around still. And still considering a swap if I find a lower mileage crashed Mounty or Ex.

Thanks for the input. It's appreciated. And if anyone else has info....

Sorry to say folks, but I've defected. I was under the car, trying to find an issue with a very random noise, pushed a bit on the wheel, pushed again, slipped out of park and backed itself with the passenger door open onto a hydrant. I got out, but not before the door was open 90 degrees. So....

I'm the new owner of a 2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4. 55k miles, LOADED with dual power, dual heated seats, sunroof, memory seats... everything except a DVD and navigation (I don't believe that nav was an option that year).

I greatly enjoyed this forum and hope to keep up with some of it.

Be well folks.

At least you didnt buy a chrysler product..................

I was getting ready to start my own thread about this. I was pondering the idea of doing a 4.0 OHV to 5.0 swap once the 4.0 dies. Seeing as how it only has 120k on it now, and I only average about 5-7k a year, I know it's going to probably be a few years before the engine dies. I actually wanted a V8 AWD Explorer/Mountaineer, but they're soooooo hard to find. That and with the price of gas, I figured I was better off with a V6.

Based on prior comments, I'm gathering that you guys are saying it's not a good idea to do such a swap. With the V8 trucks so hard to find as it is, I can almost guarantee that 10 years or more from now they'll be harder to find. I know that if I do the 5.0 swap, I'll have to put in the 4R70W. My worry is that my truck is equipped with Control Trac, and I know that the V8 equipped trucks have AWD. Now obviously Ford used AWD for a reason, and I'm assuming it was for space issues. Would putting a 4.6L in instead of a 5.0 possibly work? Or should I just try going to some place like Jasper and see what they have available?

4.6l won't fit in Gen 2 explorers. The 5.0 swap is possible and you can easily put the AWD in yours or you can almost as easily put the 4406 bong warner T-case in to utilize the control trac if you wish. With yours being a 95 there will be a lot of complications going from OBD I emissions control to OBD II. A member on here has just finished (or is very close to finishing) such a swap here: rjcooperss396 V6 to V8 Swap

I'm also currently doing a V6 to V8 swap, but mine is OBD II to OBD II. Just something to keep in mind.

You would think the 4.6 would fit with it being smaller than the 5.0, but numbers don't tell the whole story I guess. I was gonna mention possibly getting a 4.0 out of a Gen III Sport or a Ranger, but I'd still have the OBD issues... DAMNIT!!! I guess when the 4.0 goes, it goes. :(

OK, so you have a 95, and are thinking about this 10 years from now? That truck will be 27, 28... maybe 30 years old. You really think it'd be worth all the effort and $$. 10 years from now you might have a lot of restrictions on things like we do. And 10 years from now, we might have AWD vehicles with 1.5 liter engines, pumping out 250 horses and no emissions (and if we're still using fossil fuel, gasoline could be $8.25 a gallon - they have to collect the taxes some how, so the less we use, the higher the taxes to keep our roads, etc. viable).

Just saying - sort of early to be thinking about that kind of a swap if it's a decade out.

Just my 2 cents.

I was getting ready to start my own thread about this. I was pondering the idea of doing a 4.0 OHV to 5.0 swap once the 4.0 dies. Seeing as how it only has 120k on it now, and I only average about 5-7k a year, I know it's going to probably be a few years before the engine dies. I actually wanted a V8 AWD Explorer/Mountaineer, but they're soooooo hard to find. That and with the price of gas, I figured I was better off with a V6.

Based on prior comments, I'm gathering that you guys are saying it's not a good idea to do such a swap. With the V8 trucks so hard to find as it is, I can almost guarantee that 10 years or more from now they'll be harder to find. I know that if I do the 5.0 swap, I'll have to put in the 4R70W. My worry is that my truck is equipped with Control Trac, and I know that the V8 equipped trucks have AWD. Now obviously Ford used AWD for a reason, and I'm assuming it was for space issues. Would putting a 4.6L in instead of a 5.0 possibly work? Or should I just try going to some place like Jasper and see what they have available?

OK, so you have a 95, and are thinking about this 10 years from now? That truck will be 27, 28... maybe 30 years old. You really think it'd be worth all the effort and $$. 10 years from now you might have a lot of restrictions on things like we do. And 10 years from now, we might have AWD vehicles with 1.5 liter engines, pumping out 250 horses and no emissions (and if we're still using fossil fuel, gasoline could be $8.25 a gallon - they have to collect the taxes some how, so the less we use, the higher the taxes to keep our roads, etc. viable).

Just saying - sort of early to be thinking about that kind of a swap if it's a decade out.

Just my 2 cents.

I didn't mean 10 years literally. I just meant that it'll take me a while to rack up miles. I guess I'll have to evaluate it when the time comes. And as far as future emissions, anyone with a classic car faces the same problems. I just wanna keep my Explorer going for as long as I possibly can and since 5.0s have outstanding longevity, I thought doing a swap would be the way to go. Guess not.

I didn't mean 10 years literally. I just meant that it'll take me a while to rack up miles. I guess I'll have to evaluate it when the time comes. And as far as future emissions, anyone with a classic car faces the same problems. I just wanna keep my Explorer going for as long as I possibly can and since 5.0s have outstanding longevity, I thought doing a swap would be the way to go. Guess not.

IMO it is the way to go. You just have to be prepared for what's ahead of you if you do it. Do your research. I took me 2 years of looking around before I had the confidence to tackle my project.. It was also a lack of funding and another vehicle to drive while I did it too ;)

IMO it is the way to go. You just have to be prepared for what's ahead of you if you do it. Do your research. I took me 2 years of looking around before I had the confidence to tackle my project.. It was also a lack of funding and another vehicle to drive while I did it too ;)

That was my reasoning for looking into it now. I didn't want to wait until the truck fell apart to decide on what to do. From what it's looking like, I'll need a new trans and new transfer case in addition to the 5.0L.

Yep. Basically you can keep your rear differential and maybe the front (there or a couple options there) and everything else, including the wiring gets changed out.

even though mine is a 98, i finished my swap in jan. i tried to document as much as i could, with what parts you will need, with a ton of pics. the only difference is, mine is a sport, and you couldnt get a v8 in one of them, as well as i ditched the AWD for a 4406 case.
link the link in my signature, its all posted there

I was also looking into maybe having Jasper remanufacture the engine and transmission. It might be a cheaper and less time consuming route than doing the 5.0 switch, especially since my truck is OBD I.

even though mine is a 98, i finished my swap in jan. i tried to document as much as i could, with what parts you will need, with a ton of pics. the only difference is, mine is a sport, and you couldnt get a v8 in one of them, as well as i ditched the AWD for a 4406 case.
link the link in my signature, its all posted there
Okay, I have a 98 Sport w/ 5 spd manual transmission. I want to swap either a V8 or 4.0 SOHC with my 4.0 OHV motor. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back