Advice for parking assist sensor replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice for parking assist sensor replacement

ExploringBBQ

Reaction score
City, State
Goleta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Seeking advice from someone who has replaced the parking assist sensors: I was able to remove the bad sensor with ease, but now I cant get the connector to fit back on the new, or even the old, sensor. Is there some magic trick to getting the connector to snap into place? I can get it to insert partway, but I cant get it to insert fully or seat on the pins. I don't want to pull out the pliers try to to force it without asking first.

PS: Why is it that every youtube video stops with 'and now you just need to connect the replacement sensor and install it'?

Have you inspected the connector pins to ensure none are bent, and the socket side is not corroded?

Silly question but are you sure you aren't trying to put it on 180' backwards rotated?

Was there a rubber seal that was supposed to be on the male connector end but came off and is now lodged in the female connector?

You might also put a little dielectric grease on that seal to help it slide in and seal better.

If all else fails, post HQ pictures looking into the mating ends of the connectors.

Seeking advice from someone who has replaced the parking assist sensors: I was able to remove the bad sensor with ease, but now I cant get the connector to fit back on the new, or even the old, sensor. Is there some magic trick to getting the connector to snap into place? I can get it to insert partway, but I cant get it to insert fully or seat on the pins. I don't want to pull out the pliers try to to force it without asking first.

PS: Why is it that every youtube video stops with 'and now you just need to connect the replacement sensor and install it'?
Push up on the release tab it should pop right in if not try wiggling it or the steps above

Back