Advice needed after checking codes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice needed after checking codes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep us posted.

The ABS is most likely the a bad sensor.

Keep us posted.

The ABS is most likely the a bad sensor.

I'm sure you're right, but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I have a 4-wheel or RABS system. Given that I've never worked on ABS brakes before, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. I was under the car taking a look at the rear end and didn't see any kind of electrical connector poking out of the diff, but I may not have been looking in the right place.

I know we have two sensors on the front knuckles. I dont' think we have any oh the rear??

And if your X is a '94 you have ABS.

I'm going to move this to EEC-IV - great information in here!
:thumbsup:

-Drew

It's been a while since I last replied to this topic, as I haven't had much time to check up on things. It seems every time I get a day off, mother nature decides to take a dump on the east coast.

I finally got a chance to get back under the hood a couple days ago and ran my KOEO codes again. After changing the MAF and cleaning the IAC, I am now pulling codes 172 (o2 sensor) and 327 (EGR).

After poking around, it seems there are two main components to the EGR, the sensor itself, and the controller. Which of these two parts are most likely to fail? I'd like to be as methodical as I can. I don't intend to change the o2 sensors until I've got every other issue tackled.

I also got the chance to take a look at my brakes while I was under the truck. The brake rotor I had previously installed didn't have the wheel for the ABS sensor to read, so my ABS light was immediately coming on after hitting 15mph. I also cleaned the sensor itself. My ABS light is only coming on intermittently now (say every 3 or 4 starts). I'm guessing I need to clean the other sensor.

One last issue I'm having: when I pulled the caliper off the passenger side, I saw that the pads had a small crack running halfway down the middle of the friction surface. This makes me a little nervous, as the reason I had to replace the passenger side rotor in the first place was because the last set of pads exploded. The pads I bought were el-cheapo Autozone parts, and they have less than 1,000 miles on them. Is there a better brand I should be looking at, or is this a symptom of bigger problems?

I need your help! I am having these issues now. let me know if you are around.

Back