Advice on buying an explorer 2nd or 3rd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on buying an explorer 2nd or 3rd gen

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
My 95xlt has finally had it so I'm looking for a replacement. I love the 2nd gen explorers. Thier off road capability, reliability and strenth. And also how you can get a 2" lift for under $50. He'll my 95 has been on fire and under water in one trip (long story) and still drove home. The problem is most 2nd gen explorers for sale have a billion miles on them and are between 19-13 years old. And I live in the northeast so all have rust. The one I'm looking at now is a 96 with 185k and some body rust.

What are your opinions of 3rd gen explorers? Thier rear suspensions and drive terrain concern me. Look more closely related to minivans then truck.

I want a truck not a damn school bus. Should I stick with the 2nd gen or would the 3rd gen (after 01) not disappoint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were to get another Ex, it would definitely be a second gen, Eddie or Limited, V8.

This is my personal opinion. I don't like the new Explorers, they don't have a solid rear axle. The only 'new' one I would buy would be the 2008 Gen, since they still look like trucks. The newest ones are vans.

The 3rd gens have a full independent suspension.. so it's not as good off road, but I'm sure they can handle more than a van.

i'd definitely look for another 2000-2001 V8. 2WD suites my needs, but the AWD is okay, just more weight and complexity (i never go off road and we don't get much in the way of snow in GA). the Eddie Bauer's and the Mountaineer's are usually similarly equipped and are the same vehicle except for exterior trim. the Limited Explorer's have nicer seats and interior trim, but are harder to find. ideally i'd look for something with around 100-130K with a maintenance history. in GA, figure on paying around $2,500-$3,200 for a good one, more for a super nice one, less for one that needs some work.

the 2002 models had terrible transmission problems. i don't know when Ford corrected this, but i think the Gen III's look cheap as compared to the Gen II's.

I always found it annoying the Ford will give you a V8 but you have to take AWD. If you want 4wd you gotta take the V6. Just can't have everything.

Well I guess I'll have to hope I find a later 2nd gen 00 or 91 with less miles then the space shuttle. Or perhaps fix my 95. It only needs starter, gas tank, exhaust,parking brake & leaf springs :)

I did test drive a 98 with 130k miles but that test drive ended on a tow truck when the shift motor got stuck between hi and low range. Also something about that deal smelled off to me. The picture in the add was of a differently equipped truck then what was actually there.

For the right offer mine would be for sale

sploder.jpg

I have three 2nd gen AWD V8s. I loved the AWD here in South Carolina when we had our last snow storm and I love the V8 and 4R70W trans. My son drives one up in Minnesota, and gets around great in it. I do not think AWD hurts gas mileage that much and teh V8 gets close to the V6 mileage (both pretty poor).

Absolutely avoid the 2002 model, 2005 I would try, better off jump up to 4G as stated above, those are the last Explorers. I also prefer 2G for the rear axle.

What are your opinions of 3rd gen explorers? Thier rear suspensions and drive terrain concern me. Look more closely related to minivans then truck.

No argument here.

You could also look for a southern truck. A one-way plane ticket, some gas money, and the cost of a good sleeping bag could have an old, possibly high mileage but no rust 2nd gen in your driveway.

My '97 with 140k miles has zero rust.

Anything can be fixed, but not having to deal with rust (for awhile ) would be nice. IMO at least.

From reading your first post, you're going to want a 2nd gen:).
You know them very well (i'd assume), and anything that happens if you buy a 3rd gen, you'll always be thinking "I knew I should have gotten another 2nd gen."

I drove 500 miles in two states the last week looking at 2nd gen explorers that turned out to be compleat wastes if time. Then today, one more 2hour drive I found and bought just today a 2000 XLT with under 100k. :)))))))))
ceeaf4170e2ae5f94c54a530cab7bb68.jpg

eb2c00957adbcce3042cfcee51ac266f.jpg

31ef5a9274a611df034bb2f1ad353aa6.jpg

The only problem I could find with it. It seams to be missing its skid plates? I can transplant the ones off my 95.

5b40e99df02cb0516ff211053ac8be48.jpg

I have a 1999 explorer limited edition all white with 103,500 miles on it for sale. it is a v8 awd the interior dark and is in really great condition. i am in the south hills of pittsburgh pennsylvania

Thanks anyway brad but I really needed a 4wd. As much as I'd like the extra torque from a V8. AWD just won't cut it where I go.

It has the newer SOHC 4.0L
Anything I should be aware of as trouble spots with that engine? I understand it has three timing chains using a jack-shaft system (wich technically makes it dohc)

Anyway the traditional 4.0l push rod are bulletproof easily going 2-300k

The new SOHC are as good?

I found my current Mounty, a 2000 V8 AWD with 68000 miles, for $3000 about four months ago.

It's been a Florida vehicle it's entire life, so NO rust.

My parents have a 2004 and 2005 Mounties. My dad's 04 has close to 200000 on it , and has been rock solid. The only repairs it's needed have been a radiator and oil filter adaptor gasket. And 90% of his miles have been pulling a trailer.

In my opinion the 2 gen feels more like a truck but the 3 gen has proven to be a capable workhorse.

We've been driving Mounties since 97.

MT

It has the newer SOHC 4.0L
Anything I should be aware of as trouble spots with that engine? I understand it has three timing chains using a jack-shaft system (wich technically makes it dohc)

Anyway the traditional 4.0l push rod are bulletproof easily going 2-300k

The new SOHC are as good?

The SOHC is still a single overhead cam design. It has one camshaft per head, not two.

The timing chain system is a huge liability of these engines. I would never buy one. If you have your heart set on a full range 4WD system, get the OHV V6. Just remember: The V8 is probably the most durable engine of them all, and comes with a much stronger automatic transmission. You also don't really lose much fuel economy from it.

Personally I really like how the 3rd gen Explorers look, and the 4.6 V8 has a sweet sound to it, but they seem less robust than the 2nd gens.

I would have liked to get the V8. But I as stated before. The V8 only comes in AWD. The only way to have your cake and eat it to is to buy a V6 4wd and drop the V8 into it.

I was worried a little when I opened the hood and saw sohc because my brain automatically
Started thinking "timing belt" headache. But I feel a little better knowing they are chains not belts. Hopefully they are inclosed chains and llubricated by engine oil.

EDIT: Just noticed you already bought a truck. Looks good! Keep the oil changed frequently to keep your guides going as long as possible.

I would have liked to get the V8. But I as stated before. The V8 only comes in AWD. The only way to have your cake and eat it to is to buy a V6 4wd and drop the V8 into it.

I was worried a little when I opened the hood and saw sohc because my brain automatically
Started thinking "timing belt" headache. But I feel a little better knowing they are chains not belts. Hopefully they are inclosed chains and llubricated by engine oil.

Not quite true. You start with a v8 and do this--6 hour swap and it is all "bolt in"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=4406+swap

You should have searched just a bit more--;)

This is mine--
003-7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back