Advice on Changing Alternator

mranderson214

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello Everyone,

I have an '02 explorer XLT with 192,000 miles on it. V6 and pretty much stock everything.

On my way from NYC to Buffalo, NY to return to school; i was along the 130 mile stretch of I-90 through western NY. Shortly after leaving Syracuse, I noticed that my battery gauge dropped down from its normal (midway) position. Within seconds, the red Battery light came on.

I panicked a little inside but kept it cool and calm. The exits are spread out far apart, so I tried to keep going. Long story short; I made it a little over 100 miles running on the Battery before I noticed that the ABS light, followed by the airbag light illuminated. Shortly after the instrument cluster needles dropped and I just pulled over to the side. Upon doing so; the car shut off. I had to get towed the remaining distance of about 30 miles. Now, the car chimes work but the battery isnt being charged. This sounds like an alternator issue to everyone I've spoken with, and due to my previous experiences. Not to mention that the battery is only 1.5-2 years old. The car will start but the battery light stays on and within minutes, it dies again. The time is faster when headlights are on.

I tried getting the alternator prices for replacement but all the shops i've called are stating that the parts and labor would be $300 at a minimum, which I found comical since the alternator on this model is right on front of the engine. Needless to say that I ordered the part and plan to change it myself in the next few days. I've seen an alternator changed on my car before and I have an idea of how to do it, but I have a few questions while I wait for the part.

1. How hard is it to de-tension the belt? I don't have the belt tensioner tool, but I have a 3/8 socket wrench extension which seems to be square and fit into the adjusting hole perfectly. One of my concerns is that I might get the whole belt off and have to wrap it around the pulleys correctly again. So, I plan to release just enough tension to get the belt off of the alternator pulley.

2. Secondly, I've heard success stories of using the 3/8 socket wrench extension piece. Just want to confirm that this can be done without the "belt tension tool" that most auto places try to sell. The extension piece I'm referring to is something like this: http://imgur.com/iwx2gvK

3. Lastly, is there any advice that anyone could give to someone doing this for the first time themselves? I'm pretty handy and have changed many parts on the car myself already. The procedure seems pretty straight forward from what i've seen in person, and through videos.

Thanks for your time and help with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A long handled 3/8 ratchet will work. It's tight between the pully's and the fan blade. Once the belt is off, the tensioner will now move farther than before, keep this in mind when positioning the ratchet.

The big cable at the back of the alt. is live. So disconnect the battery cables from the battery before doing anything else.

Should be fairly easy otherwise. Before you run the new alt., make sure the battery is FULLY charged.

Yes the socket drive fits in there and its designed that way for that reason, I use a breaker bar as its longer, but check the tensioner to make sure it is not weak (I have that be one of my problem before), as for the belt I would take a pic with your cell phone to help if it comes completely off, there should be a pic of it on the upper rad cradle though, the removal of the alt is fairly straight forward. :thumbsup: for trying to do things on your own.

As others have said a 3/8" pull bar or ratchet will work to take the tension off the belt. If you find that your ratchet needs to be longer a piece of pipe over the end helps. +1 on disconnecting the battery. You'll be just fine... changing the alternator is about a 20 minute job on this truck (or at least it is on the 4.6l). It's literally as simple as disconnecting the battery, the cable on the back of the alt., slipping the belt off, and taking out a few bolts. Then just do everything in reverse to install the new one.

I replaced my alternator on my 2004 f150 a week or so ago having never tackled anything like it before. I did loads of searches for YouTube videos and prepared for the switch then did it in about 45 minutes. I even replaced belt with a new one while doing it. Don't be intimidated. Check out videos on belt removal separately if you must but it really is straight forward. Surprisingly easy to do and once complete will make you wonder why we have paid labor for all these years. After I did the truck I checked out the Explorer engine layout thinking ahead for when the time comes on the Explorer. I think it will be easier to get to the alternator part. The relieving tension on belt tensioner may be tighter quarters but it still looks doable for casual DIYer. I used a length of pipe slipped over the end of my ratchet handle which provided all the leverage I needed. Make sure you think it through, make your plan, then tackle it. If you do totally remove your belt make sure you know whether of not you need to make a small loop to first insert between specific pulleys to start threading it since the truck 5.4 engine called for that otherwise the belt routing would make no sense. Good luck and enjoy

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm not too worried about changing it. The only part that makes me a little nervous is the belt haha. Here's what I plan to do in a nutshell:

1. disconnect the battery.
2. release the belt tension.
3. disconnect the alternator plugs.
4. unscrew the bolts.
5. remove the unit.
6. inspect/compare old and new units.
7. reverse the procedure.

I'll give it a try and I'll post back to let everyone know how it goes once it's completed.

Lastly; I don't know if I can charge the battery considering i dont have any way of getting my battery to a shop where they can charge it, nor do I have a battery charger. Last I checked, the battery was at 11 V. The car can start most of the time but it just dies in minutes. So, is it acceptable that I install the new alternator and then drive around to let it charge up the battery? or is it a must that I find a way to charge the battery first?

Thanks.

Today's alternators are designed to maintain a charge, not to recharge a battery. At 11v your battery is considered fully discharged.
All you can measure is what's called a surface charge. A parts store tests them by putting a load test on it. When doing the load test, it could go from 11v to 1.xx v. Bad alt. often kill batteries.

If you have no means of dropping it off to be charged, put it in and go directly to a parts store. Then they can check the battery and at least tell you if its shot or not.

That price is about right for these trucks. An alternator at a dealer was well over $250 last time I checked (I have no idea why).

Having said that, alternators on newer cars (with separate belt tensioners) are about the easiest thing to replace yourself.

I would add three things to your list:

* Check all cables and connection points. Remove any corrosion or dirt. If a cable is corroded, replace it (they often corrode from the inside out).

* When reinstalling the belt, be sure all grooves seat properly. I had work done at a shop once, and they had one belt groove hanging over the edge of a pulley. I caught it before driving away, but that's a quick way to destroy a belt.

* Unless you know the age of these components, replace the belt and tensioner now. Saves you from having to repeat that part of the job at a less convenient time (or from getting stuck again).

Hope this helps.

Mike

On my way from NYC to Buffalo, NY to return to school; i

I tried getting the alternator prices for replacement but all the shops i've called are stating that the parts and labor would be $300 at a minimum, which I found comical since the alternator on this model is right on front of the engine. Needless to say that I ordered the part and plan to change it myself in the next few days. I've seen an alternator changed on my car before and I have an idea of how to do it, but I have a few questions while I wait for the part.

1s.

I see you said you ordered a new Alternator, but you could have saved $40 off of the price of an Alternator by ordering one thru Advance Auto Parts web site and pick it up at a local store in Buffalo, NY where you said you go to school. Lots of Advance locations there. At www.couponcabin.com, you can get a $40 off a $100 or more order and use the online coupon for Advance Auto Parts. If you can take your battery to one of their stores, they can test it for you for free and may possibly charge it up for you as well. It doesn't hurt to ask them.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got the alternator today. Its the right fit and its Motorcraft. However, I ran into some issues while trying to remove the belt. Basically my 3/8 square extension is about 4 inches long, 4.5 when attached to the wrench itself. I'm able to get the square extension in when its not attached to the wrench; but it won't fit in with the wrench because there's not enough clearance between the fan blade and the adjustment pulley/tensioner.

So, I'm currently trying to find a way to get to an auto parts store while asking around to see if anyone has the tool or at least a smaller 3/8 square extension because mine doesn't fit in the narrow space. :(

Just use your 3/8 ratchet, no extension.

wow. i feel so silly now. I've been using the 3/8 wrench with the extension. (face palm) ...thank you.

Edit, OP responded while I was typing so no need for my two cents.

i have to say that it's pretty embarrassing because I spent something like 30 minutes trying to wiggle the whole extension in there. At one point, the wrench and extension fell into the lower plastic housing for the fan and I hope that it didn't damage the radiator.

I was able to get the tools out by unscrewing one of the bolts on the lower fan housing, from underneath the car.

After looking at the wrench, I see that the extension is the same exact 3/8 square that is on the wrench. This is quite embarrassing. I don't know why I never put 2 and 2 together. My only excuse is that I had been working in a cold parking lot.

I'll try this again tomorrow and update you all. Thanks again

It's the obvious things that slip past us.

You should invest in a long handled 3/8 ratchet as well.

Ditto on the longer handle. Doesn't matter if it's a ratchet, breaker bar or just some pipe over your short ratchet: leverage is your friend here.

Mike

It's the obvious things that slip past us.

You should invest in a long handled 3/8 ratchet as well.

A good place to find a cheap long handled 3/8" ratchet since you won't really use it all that much would be "Harbor Freight Tools".

Once I'm up and running again; I'm definitely going to invest in a long-handled 3/8 ratchet

If I remember right, I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a reducer to 3/8 socket on it. It definitely takes some pressure to move it with one hand and remove the belt with the other -- or have a helper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the help guys.

I managed to get the alternator installed earlier today. I needed to get a 13mm deep socket extension for one of the alternator bolts (passenger side, rear bolt). But other than that, it went pretty smoothly. I thought that the tensioner was more of a twist-to-adjust thing. It ends up that its more like an insert-the-tool, then push-to-adjust type of thing. So I used my left hand to push the tool down just enough to get it off the alternator pulley. Needless to say that during the process, the belt only came off of the alternator and tensioner pulleys, which was easy enough to put back on. Started her up and it worked like a charm. Thats the good news..

But here's where the story gets interesting...

For the sake of organization, I have posted the results in another thread. So that I don't talk about two unrelated issues in one thread. Those of you that may be interested in chiming in; please see the following link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3380186#post3380186

Thanks for all the help with the alternator!

Back