Advice on purchasing 03 Explorer

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I have a 94 XLT that won't pass emissions and a chance to replace it with an 03 XLT for 2200. It has 204k on it and looks like new. Does anybody have any advice or guidance in this endeavor? I hear stories about transmission problems that I would like to avoid but am not sure what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you're buying a 4.0, if the chain tensioners and guides weren't replaced run!!!!

if the transmission weren't replaced also run!!!!

ideal mileage where it could happen at any time but you could get lucky...

I would shy away from buying any vehicle with over 200k miles. If you are in a pinch, it could be a good option while you save up for something newer with at last half the miles. If it is the v6, be ready to spend almost double the price of what you are going to pay for it to replace the timing chains. The trans can last a little longer, but if it has that many miles it will most likely need some service at some point.

Price is too high. And as stated above, mission critical systems such as engine and transmission cost beau coup dollars. If it has a Carfax or records showing recent transmission replacement that would be a plus.

Back