Advice on purchasing 97 Explorer

ChrisXLT94

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hi all,

My family's had an Explorer for two years now and I've just found this message board! Doh! Could have saved me a lot of headaches!

My mom currently has a 1994 XLT 4WD (102,000 miles, all options). The other day, we found a really good deal on a 1997 XLT V8 AWD for $9000. It has 95,000 miles and everything's in great condition. (It's missing a sunroof and leather, though.) We went for a test drive (it was a dealer car) and we both liked it. The 5.0 delivered a world of difference, torque-wise. We went in to see if we could get a deal on it, but the dealer wouldn't budge on price. He would only give us $3000 for our 1994 XLT, which would come out to a difference of $6000. She still trying to decide.

We also found another 97 XLT V8 AWD for $10,500. It has 75,000 miles on it and has every option available, including sunroof and leather. We looked the car over at the dealer lot (they were closed) and it looked very nice. She will go for a test drive tommorrow night.

Can you guys please tell me which would be a better buy? The first XLT was in a little bit better conditon, but has less options. The dealer wouldn't budge on the $3000 trade-in for the 1994 Explorer.
-Do you guys think this is a fair trade in price?
-If not, what do you guys think would be a good trade in price?
-Are the prices for the 1997 Explorers good prices?
-What kind of a deal should we try to negotiate on the second 97 Explorer?
-I peeked in the window of the second Explorer and saw a cassette tape deck. On of the buttons on it says "CD", but I don't see a place to insert the CD in (there's only a radio and tape deck). Does this mean there is a CD player in the car?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regardless of what the dealer will give your Mom for her '94, if she sells it herself, she will get another couple of thousand $. The CD on the tape deck does not guarantee that it has the CD changer (the in-dash CD player wasn't offered until '98). It only means that the radio can be connected to Ford's CD changer. If it has one, it will be in the center console. The prices seem pretty good, but considering that you Mom doesn't need to trade now, I think if she really wants to get a newer one she should sell hers herself.

Thanks for the reply Robert.
She doesn't really want to go through the hassle of selling it herself, because in my estimation, it probably wouldn't go for more than $4000-$4500. It's got some minor problems with it (instrument gauge light doesn't work, a small rust spot on the driver's door, brake light sensor went out) so I don't think she'll get much for it. We were planning on some negotiating room with the prices, but I guess we'll have to see about the second 97 we looked at.

I'm not too sure on how good the prices are. When I looked through the used car mags, that was the cheapest V8, even cheaper than the same year V6's. Do you guys think that there will be any negotiating room on the $10,500 Explorer.

Also, how problem-prone are the V8 Explorers? The 94 has been great (few and minor problems). And what are the problem areas I should look out for?

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris, my 97 Limited has 97,000 miles on it and its still going strong. The V8 is a tried and true engine. The truck should preform well for many years to come.

Welcome to the site!

Personally I thinkI would try to find outthe backround of each vehicle (accidents). Then decide from there. I think the $9000 for a 97 V-8 is kinda low, so it may have been in a wreck. Just look into that. If it were me buying, I would opt for the one with leather and less miles. V-8 drivetrains are very reliable and you'll love it

Thanks guys!
I ran a background check on Carfax and it came out clean. I took a look at the general stuff (engine, etc.) and they were fine. It comes with a warranty, so I'll have time to check it out at home at my own pace. We put a deposit down and he gave us until tommorrow to decide. I guess I'll see what happens.

Thanks again,
Chris

The CD, if you dont see a slot, it must have a 6 CD changer on it located in between the front seats. Chack also about the recalls in the 1997 like the O-rings and cam shaft/timing chain tensioner. Good Luck.

Back