Advice with new wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice with new wheels

I've been searching through the various archives concerning offset, I'm now I'm left with a question for everyone.

The wheels I'm interested are available in 15x8 with 3.25" of offset or 15x10 with 3.625" of offset. In your opinion what is a better fit with 35x12.50 mud tires. I'm really trying to avoid alot of tire hanging beyond my factory flares. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going by the fact that you do not want a lot of tire sticking past your flares, then that would probably kick the 15x8 with 3.25 backspace out the window. Most people on here, and me too, run 3.75 bs on either a 15x8 or 15x10 wheel. I am not sure how far out your flares stick, but the farther your tire sticks out, it will give you a better center of gravity. But, keep in mind, that the less back spacing you have, like the 3.25s for example, would put more stress on your wheel bearings. I would stick with either a 15x10 or 15x8 with 3.75 bs. Hope this helps!

Hold on a second....a 15x10 with 3.75" of BS will stick out and put more stress on the bearings than a 15x8 with 3.25. Definitely stick with 15x8, 3.75" is what a lot of people are running, but 3.25" won't make too much difference. 15x8 compared to 15x10 will be a large difference though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a wheel with 3.25" of bs will stick out half an inch farther than a wheel with 3.75". Stock bs on my Ex was 4" and after I had new wheels with 3.75" bs put on, my wheels sat 1/4" farther out.

Stupid memory, yes stock bs is 4.5" :D

Yeah you are right on about BS...I was simply saying that the difference between a 8" and 10" rim with the same backspacing is a lot more than a 1/2" difference in BS on the same wheel. Sorry, didn't mean to make is sound like you were wrong about backspacing, you were right. I just wanted to recommend he stay away from 15x10 because it'll be out 2" (if the BS was the same) compared to 1/2"

Oh not a problem man, I just wanted to be sure I had everything straight in my head! :confused:

Thanks for all the replies, so if I'm understanding this correctly; a 35x12.50 mounted on the 15x8 with 3.25" backspacing will roughly be flush or just past my factory Sport fender flares right? I really don't want the tire WAY past the flare for obvious reasons. Thanks again for all the help.

Another quick ?

I just did the TT/shackle lift for my 98, and I'm looking at 31x10.5R15s now. I want the tires to sit wider than stock, so what BS do I need? 3.25 is the widest, right? Also, 15x8 or x10 wheels? I'm a bit confused. Thanks

Back