• Register Today It's free!

Advise on changing RA Bushings

bwingler

Reaction score
City, State
Acworth, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
I read the threads but was wondering if there is any advise to make it go easier. Which method is better, removing the rivets or removing the springs and shocks. I will be doing this on the ground. Any pointers from you guys that have all ready done it would be most welcomed. I got to do it as they are shot. Its a 93 EB 4x4.

Thanks All

Barry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

much better removeing the rivits, my opinion anyway. ( excuse my spelling)

I've done it both ways. Now that I've had my front suspension apart multiple times, I think I'd pull the springs next time...

I used a come-a-long to pull the axle forward and it was pretty easy. I had to use the come-a-long again to pull it back into place but it took me maybe an hour to do the first side and an hour to do the other side. Make sure to disconnect the front driveshaft if you are pulling the axle forward.

I got a question on using a come along. What do you hook it to and do you have to be on jack stands. And how hard is it to take out the springs?

Barry

I've started the come along method, and have drilled rivets. Candidly I find drilling rivets easier, and when you have to do it again the job will be a snap. My vote? Drill rivets.

I found that by drilling a smaller hole (say 1/8 or 3/16" drill bit) in the rivet thru the level of the bracket first and then following up with a bigger bit was clearly a faster appraoch than using the larger bit to start with.

take the rivits out and get a30 pack of beer and a buddie.

Well, just finished changing the ra bushings. Went to harbor freight and bought a $20.00 angle grinder. Took about 10 minutes grinding the rivet heads. Since i have a compressor and air tools i was done in about 2 hours. It was not bad at all. I did it in my driveway. I thought it was going to be harder then that. Replaced the rivets with grade 8 bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts. Drives so much better now. Thanks for everyones input. My advice to anyone doing this, invest in a angle grinder, its a major time saver.

Barry

x2

Agreed. Angle grinders are one of those ultimate "must-have, last-resort" tools. Right up there with a bigger sledgehammer, and torches! :)

Gets you out of countless jams. As long, of course, that you can get the grinder wheel onto the bolt/part you want to remove, and no other parts are in the way...

Mike

i've replaced many RA bushings but i never heard of the come along method, i've always cut the rivits off, you can actaully pull the RA out far enough to slip the bushing on and off?

i've replaced many RA bushings but i never heard of the come along method, i've always cut the rivits off, you can actaully pull the RA out far enough to slip the bushing on and off?

I wonder if you could slip a hydraulic trolley jack in there (in between the front suspension and something solid) and just inch it forward, without doing some damage to the suspension?

To do it without removing the rivets, you have to basically unbolt a good part of the front suspension (which isn't that difficult if you have the right tools) and slide it forward. You can't just jack it forward because you will mess up the frame where the axle beams connect to the frame. After doing several superlifts on Gen 1 explorers, I've gotten pretty good at pulling suspensions out :cool:. Having two floor jacks and about 4 jackstands helps a lot.

Back