Aerodynamic Fuel Saver or Mileage Killer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerodynamic Fuel Saver or Mileage Killer?

It could be. I gained 2-3mpg highway after removing my full-size lightbar (Whelen Liberty) from my SOHC.

Trans helps too I’m sure. Slipping bands and shi* don’t help.
if that hurt it we dont talk about my basket and light bar, haha. though it aint full size. its. 30"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me neither, I’m getting 13mpg on average so I guess I could just take it off and see if the there is any improvement, noticeable or negligible.
13-15 range with the control trac is about right. I had the AWD limited at one time and that’s about as good as I would get as well. Mine was a V8 though.

I would argue that it would improve mileage since it reduces size of the low pressure zone which follows the vehicle at high speeds, kind of like the dimples on a golf ball.
You’ve never seen me hit a golf ball, hitting one with one arm is a trick I’ve yet to master.

13-15 range with the control trac is about right. I had the AWD limited at one time and that’s about as good as I would get as well. Mine was a V8 though.
4.0 v6. I’m lucky I’m moving within two miles of my workplace so I won’t be driving much, haha. Love this truck though!

I would argue that it would improve mileage since it reduces size of the low pressure zone which follows the vehicle at high speeds, kind of like the dimples on a golf ball.
Yeah what this guy said. I have the same on my 93. It's there to change the back pressure drag (or vacuum) behind the truck which in theory makes it easier to go forward

I agree. Years ago, these deflectors were invented to deflect air into the reduced pressure zone at the rear of the car and tests showed mileage increased - although the increase might be small. A side benefit is that dust and snow are blown off the window. This is the same reason that sedans and coupes don't (usually) have a vertical rear window, but rather one that slopes gradually downward to prevent formation of that low pressure area.

I agree. Years ago, these deflectors were invented to deflect air into the reduced pressure zone at the rear of the car and tests showed mileage increased - although the increase might be small. A side benefit is that dust and snow are blown off the window. This is the same reason that sedans and coupes don't (usually) have a vertical rear window, but rather one that slopes gradually downward to prevent formation of that low pressure area.
The hatchback looks so much more sexy though

I much prefer wagons/hatches to sedans.

My 97 Explorer came with this wind deflector on the back, first I’ve seen of something like this.

Would this be aerodynamic or would it create drag? Better or worst for gas mileage?

View attachment 437184 View attachment 437185
They are meant to redirect air back onto the rear window. If I recall correctly a flat backed vehicle creates a partial vacuum as it moves through the air and sucks road grime and water back onto the windshield. This theoretically would blow air into that area and reduce this. I would highly doubt it would affect mileage at all. I am curious as to how well it works.

This debate is like the tailgate up or down on a pickup truck.

My 97 Explorer came with this wind deflector on the back, first I’ve seen of something like this.

Would this be aerodynamic or would it create drag? Better or worst for gas mileage?

View attachment 437184 View attachment 437185
It's a rear window "cleaner" . It drives the moving air down over the rear window to help keep dirt and dust from clinging to it. If adjusted properly they work extremely well! I don't believe they effect gas mileage enough to worry about.

It's a rear window "cleaner" . It drives the moving air down over the rear window to help keep dirt and dust from clinging to it. If adjusted properly they work extremely well! I don't believe they effect gas mileage enough to worry about.
Thanks for reading the entire thread and solving this mystery for us.

...just had the transmission replaced at the same time so hard to tell if it is exclusively the removal of the deflector...
Wait, this introduced another variable so to be positive, the deflector must go back on and the mileage checked. Just think how much better you'll sleep (as will, ahem, some readers here) knowing for sure.

Wait, this introduced another variable so to be positive, the deflector must go back on and the mileage checked. Just think how much better you'll sleep (as will, ahem, some readers here) knowing for sure.
Bahaha! I’m back down to 13mpg. I’m going to ride a razor scooter and then drive this baby on Sundays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back