Aerostar floor shifter in an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar floor shifter in an Explorer?

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi all. I know that Ford put auto trans floor shifters in all their (right-hand drive) export Explorers, but they are impossible to find in the wrecking yards.

What about installing an Aerostar floor shifter in an Explorer? Since they have the same drivetrain, it shouldn't be too hard. Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldnt swear to this, but i think i remember reading that this will work. ill try to find the thread for you

seriously, why does it matter, yes it would be cool, well to some people... but why try and redesign a bunch of stuff to something that might work if you already have something that does work fine? and for a aerostar one? if going through all that trouble, why not get a shifter from b&m or whoever for a ranger and play with that idea?

The aero shifter is about three feet tall. Why doesnt anyone use like a mark, t-bird, or mustang shifter? Wouldn't those work too?

Originally posted by jimabena74
seriously, why does it matter, yes it would be cool, well to some people... but why try and redesign a bunch of stuff to something that might work if you already have something that does work fine? and for a aerostar one? if going through all that trouble, why not get a shifter from b&m or whoever for a ranger and play with that idea?

Well Jim, Why modify your truck if it is working perfectly fine. Why? Why not. I would love to have a floor shifter.
If someone hadn't taken the time and effort to throw a solid axle on an Explorer, we wouldn't have as many great trucks out there now. Get the point?

see ray, i wsant knocking it by no means..... but i was wondering why go through all that trouble for something that may or may not work right..... some on here i believe have modified a high performance shifter from a ranger to fit.... seems more practical to me as the ranger and the explorre are nearly identical.... i used to have an aerostar, and that shifter was huge! if you could get a performance b&m or something in there, then that would be sweet.... but the aerostar one just seems like its more hassle than its worth.....

I can't really remember what an Aerostar shifter looks like; it was just a thought, because they have the same drivetrain as the Explorers. A Ranger shifter is a good idea also. I think the Postal Explorers had a floor shifter too.

I just like a floor shifter......they seem to have a better "feel", and are a little more performance oriented than the column shifter.

Back