• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Aerostar parts work in Explorers! How about a forum?

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I know that this idea was thrown around in various threads, but not in an actual suggestion thread. There are a lot of members other than myself with Aerostars, and everybody knows that many parts are interchangeable with Explorers, Rangers, etc. Let's see if anybody else is interested.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
I'm not an AerOwner anymore, but I would support it- a lot of things are interchangable, and I think it would be a good idea. If we can add a fitness or biking forum, we can add an AeroForum!

BWilliams

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY (home) // Rochester, NY (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT Sport
Seems like there are quite a few Aerostar owners on the forum...

Support as a sub-forum of the 'Other Makes and Models' forum. :)

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I too think it'd be nice and agree to the reasons already stated, as other folks here own them or have family with one or more, and with parts being interchangeable. I think it'd be a good idea to add and Aerostar forum or sub forum. Its pretty much an RBV.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Lately, I've seen many members with Aerostars on this forum. A lot of people are stripping them for parts to add to their Broncos, Rangers, Explorers, and other RWD Fords. Many parts are interchangeable such as the engines, transmissions, differentials, etc.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Since the parts will interchange-I think this is great discussion. I wonder how many have walked past aerostar's while looking for explorers in the junk yard.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Aerostar speedo cables are perfect for when you swap a doubler into your ranger and I assume explorer as well.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
There is a book called the Hollander Interchange Manual which outlines all of the interchangeable parts. Unfortunately, I don't have one, but many junk yards do. Does anybody else on this forum have a copy of one? I wonder if they have it on a DVD?

trj360

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
There is a book called the Hollander Interchange Manual which outlines all of the interchangeable parts. Unfortunately, I don't have one, but many junk yards do. Does anybody else on this forum have a copy of one? I wonder if they have it on a DVD?
I'm working on it...I'll PM you...

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Is this similar to the list they generate at the junkyard, that would be good to have when trying to find parts for people!

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

XVX_MARK_XVX

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
does anyone know if the explorer and explorer sport trac 2003 2wd have interchangable spindles? what about the ranger edge and the sport trac?:D

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I am putting an aerostar steering shaft in my 88 Bronco II, it has two u joints instead of two rag joints.. pretty cool it will fit with one modification.

I have robbed many parts off aerostars over the years...
I say somebody does a 4x4 conversion on say 35's in one of those suckers :)

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
rag joint is a rubber puck inbetween the metal shafts on a steering shaft. from the factory my 88 BII has two rag joints, one where the steering shaft (from wheel) meets the intermediate shaft, and another right where the intermediate shaft enters the steering box. The rag joints allow alot of play in the steering. After 300K miles mine finally started to break, the rubber was ripping. So instead of rebuilding it (PITA) with new rubber pucks, I am building a new shaft using the Aerostart all metal shaft as a base.... the Aerostar shaft is about 2" too long and has the wrong size fitting for the steering shaft from the wheel... so it will take a little customizing.

shaft was $8 at the local u pull it

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Agreed. With interchangable parts and people that like to make hybrid (Explorer+Mounty, etc), this would be a good resource.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
If I setup an Aerostar forum does it need to be broken down, as to generations like we've been doing for other models?