Aerostar parts work in Explorers! How about a forum? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar parts work in Explorers! How about a forum?

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I know that this idea was thrown around in various threads, but not in an actual suggestion thread. There are a lot of members other than myself with Aerostars, and everybody knows that many parts are interchangeable with Explorers, Rangers, etc. Let's see if anybody else is interested.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not an AerOwner anymore, but I would support it- a lot of things are interchangable, and I think it would be a good idea. If we can add a fitness or biking forum, we can add an AeroForum!

Thanks for your support Joe. Anybody else?

Seems like there are quite a few Aerostar owners on the forum...

Support as a sub-forum of the 'Other Makes and Models' forum. :)

I too think it'd be nice and agree to the reasons already stated, as other folks here own them or have family with one or more, and with parts being interchangeable. I think it'd be a good idea to add and Aerostar forum or sub forum. Its pretty much an RBV.

Lately, I've seen many members with Aerostars on this forum. A lot of people are stripping them for parts to add to their Broncos, Rangers, Explorers, and other RWD Fords. Many parts are interchangeable such as the engines, transmissions, differentials, etc.

Since the parts will interchange-I think this is great discussion. I wonder how many have walked past aerostar's while looking for explorers in the junk yard.

Aerostar speedo cables are perfect for when you swap a doubler into your ranger and I assume explorer as well.

There is a book called the Hollander Interchange Manual which outlines all of the interchangeable parts. Unfortunately, I don't have one, but many junk yards do. Does anybody else on this forum have a copy of one? I wonder if they have it on a DVD?

There is a book called the Hollander Interchange Manual which outlines all of the interchangeable parts. Unfortunately, I don't have one, but many junk yards do. Does anybody else on this forum have a copy of one? I wonder if they have it on a DVD?

I'm working on it...I'll PM you...

I just downloaded the PDF from the link in your PM. Thanks for the PDF!

Is this similar to the list they generate at the junkyard, that would be good to have when trying to find parts for people!

It looks similar. I've just forwarded the link to you. You should find it useful.

does anyone know if the explorer and explorer sport trac 2003 2wd have interchangable spindles? what about the ranger edge and the sport trac?:D

I am putting an aerostar steering shaft in my 88 Bronco II, it has two u joints instead of two rag joints.. pretty cool it will fit with one modification.

I have robbed many parts off aerostars over the years...
I say somebody does a 4x4 conversion on say 35's in one of those suckers :)

That part is pretty expensive from Ford. I once paid about $100 for one, then found a spare in a junk yard. Could you explain what a "rag joint" is?

rag joint is a rubber puck inbetween the metal shafts on a steering shaft. from the factory my 88 BII has two rag joints, one where the steering shaft (from wheel) meets the intermediate shaft, and another right where the intermediate shaft enters the steering box. The rag joints allow alot of play in the steering. After 300K miles mine finally started to break, the rubber was ripping. So instead of rebuilding it (PITA) with new rubber pucks, I am building a new shaft using the Aerostart all metal shaft as a base.... the Aerostar shaft is about 2" too long and has the wrong size fitting for the steering shaft from the wheel... so it will take a little customizing.

shaft was $8 at the local u pull it

Post some before & after pictures of this mod.

Agreed. With interchangable parts and people that like to make hybrid (Explorer+Mounty, etc), this would be a good resource.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I setup an Aerostar forum does it need to be broken down, as to generations like we've been doing for other models?

Back