• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar rack and pinion.

aerothusiast

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
93,96 Aerostar
I replaced my rack and pinion with a "rebuilt" one from napa last night. I've done this a few times before on my various Aerostars and this one four years prior, replaced under lifetime warranty. I started it up and was working the steering wheel back and forth and adding fluid with the usual moaning and shuddering but it was trying to work. I pulled it outside shut it off to clean up and when I restarted it: absolutely no power steering no noise from the pump nothing.. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must've thrown a belt? Pump is gonna make noise. Does it steer?Did you get the steering shaft connected correctly? Should be easy to see any problem. don-ohio

Must've thrown a belt? Pump is gonna make noise. Does it steer?Did you get the steering shaft connected correctly? Should be easy to see any problem. don-ohio
Thanks for your reply update: I had just stopped at the Ford dealer to talk to mechanic friend who thought it was a defective rack and was on my way to stock up on power steering fluid when it just started working! Someone suggested maybe a stuck pressure relief valve in the pump? I don't know but it's working fine a day later I helped align it yesterday afternoon. love those upper control arm shims... thanks again Aerothusiast

Hmmmm...........I'm glad it's working,but is it the end of this problem? Post back if more trouble, please?

Maybe a hose was kinked? Did you install an inline filter?
No kinked lines,and no i didn't, probably should have it's still working fine.wondering about the valve on the power steering pump. Thankyou very much for responding I haven't been on in a while. 341,000 miles on my current 93 AerostarPS mine has a big looped power steering cooler behind the grill.

No kinked lines,and no i didn't, probably should have it's still working fine.wondering about the valve on the power steering pump. Thankyou very much for responding I haven't been on in a while. 341,000 miles on my current 93 AerostarPS mine has a big looped power steering cooler behind the grill.
Looking at power steering filters...

341K on the same engine,tranny? That's 100K more than my Eddy when I traded it for a way younger,in miles, XL extended.

341K on the same engine,tranny? That's 100K more than my Eddy when I traded it for a way younger,in miles, XL extended.
I think so,It was a state vehicle from Washington state equipped with s trans and power steering cooler. I did have the maintenance records and there wasn't any major repairs in them. My last Aerostar was retired running fine but rusty at 365,000 I was the second owner and it was the original reared trans and engine! I have changed a lot of brakes and suspension parts though! No chinese ball joints for me ever again...

Right, good quality parts like NAPA are best,or MOOG. What kind of oil are you running? I always ran Castrol syntec 10W40 or 10W30 . No Aerostar engine in my 3 Aerostars ever used oil. Leaked some, but no smoke.

Right, good quality parts like NAPA are best,or MOOG. What kind of oil are you running? I always ran Castrol syntec 10W40 or 10W30 . No Aerostar engine in my 3 Aerostars ever used oil. Leaked some, but no smoke.
Motorcraft semisynthetic my 96 didn't leak or use oil but this 93 leaks noticeably...

Back