• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar seats.

ThoreauOnWheels

Reaction score
City, State
El Cajon, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Aerostar
My 1994 Aerostar needs new front seats. Does anyone know if seats from an Explorer or Ranger have the same mounting bolt configuration to just swap in? Sure would increase my options and make things easier. Thanks in advance.
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should not be hard to find good Aerostar seats. Even driving my 93 for 377,000 miles the original front seats look new - no tears, no rips, no nothing - which means that Aero seats seldom go bad unless they are abused. I have not checked but it may be possible to put a passenger seat in the drivers spot by changing the armrest and mounting brackets. Passenger seats get even less wear and tear as they are only used sometimes, but the driver seat is used every time.

The front seat bases are identical side to side. Just take the backs off by removing the hinge bolts.
It's hard to find good seats in a junkyard - they have a habit of rolling down the windows and leaving them exposed to the weather.
The Aerostars I've got needed some help on the driver's side door edge. Either the fabric was worn or the foam split or both.
This last '97 just I bought had the driver's seat base broken - I believe the driver (I call him "Tiny") must have forced his shoulders into the seat to get his butt in and up on the seat. I never saw a seat's metal base split like this one - it had been patched at least once with slotted angle inside the base and out but, it was all bent up too. I had to toss it. Luckily, I had an extra seat and will use the base from it. I've got a local upholsterer working on swapping the cover so it matches (the interior is grey and the spare seat was blue).

Don't forget to plug in the wiring for the seat belt when you transfer the seats. The older Aerostars had inflatable lumbar supports in the higher trim package models. As far as I know, I've never seen any with power seats. You might have a problem if you install a seat from another Ford which uses power seats unless you wire it up.

My 1994 Aerostar needs new front seats. Does anyone know if seats from an Explorer or Ranger have the same mounting bolt configuration to just swap in? Sure would increase my options and make things easier. Thanks in advance.
David

Yes, the mounting holes on the seat frames are spaced the same on the Explorer, Bronco II, and Aerostar seats. I'm sure the Ranger seats are the same. I have a '94 Explorer and a '96 Aerostar. I wondered the same thing and measured the holes a while back just out of curiosity. The pedestals (seat to floor mounts) are different of course. In fact, the pedestals are different from side to side on the Aerostar.

As mmerlinn said, passenger side seats get less wear. I've done that swap several times. I think all it takes to move the arm rest to the opposite side is to poke a hole on the fabric in the side of the seat for the bolt. The hole for the bolt is already in the side of the seat frame, but the threaded piece can come loose and fall out of place. You have to unzip the fabric on the armrest and peel it back to access the bolt that holds it to the seat.

hey i pulled the middle buckets and put them in front bolted right up 1993 xlt 4buckets and a big back seat

hey i pulled the middle buckets and put them in front bolted right up 1993 xlt 4buckets and a big back seat

What about the crazy lift and tilt mechanism on the seat next to the sliding door? Did the entire seat assy get swapped?

Back