City, State
Galena Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer, 91 Aerostar
Hi all--

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my prospective valve body rebuild in
this thread
A4LD low/reverse servo question.

I got the van running again yesterday, and have a few test drives on it, and to my mild surprise, it not only works, but it seems noticeably better. Thank you for the help.

I still have a few questions.

The band adjustments. I followed the instructions, which go like this--
loosen the jam nut, and torque down the adjustment bolt carefully to exactly 10 ft-lb, then back it off exactly 3.5 turns for the TCC band, and 2.0 turns for intermediate band.

Lemme start by saying that this sounds something like
"Take careful aim, then close your eyes and pull the trigger." In any case, the clutches slipped the first time I tried it. In moderate despair, I tightened both bands about a half turn, and got back second and third gear. They seem fine now. The fourth gear just ain't there. If I put the shifter in OD, it slips, badly. The band adjustment doesn't seem to affect it, and the tranny has always been pretty much like that. I can live with it, but here's the first question.

I didn't pull the exhaust and servos for the TCC or intermediate clutches. Is there still a chance that the servo is the prob, or shall I just give up on the TCC band (and fourth gear) until I can pull the transmission and replace it?
I will add that overdrive is not a big issue here. The longest highway trip we have is about two miles, and 35 mph is about as fast as anyone drives in our little town. If you want to drive farther than a few miles, you need either a dog team or a snowmobile.

The second question is on a completely different matter, but I will drop it anyway. The latch for the sliding door sticks shut. I need to buy another one. Where should I look? It sounds like a dealer part, but before I start calling, maybe someone here knows better. Meanwhile, I removed the latch, and have a bungee cord holding that door shut--appropriate local technology.

Thanks again,

PK
On a bright, sunny, cold day in the north woods.

The front band is the overdrive band. 3.5 turns only applies to the old style double wrap band. The band will slip as described if you make this adjustment on a single wrap band. As for the replacement latch, I have a couple of links in 2 sticky threads (Aerostar parts wanted & replacing a defective sliding door latch).

The front band is the overdrive band. 3.5 turns only applies to the old style double wrap band. The band will slip as described if you make this adjustment on a single wrap band. As for the replacement latch, I have a couple of links in 2 sticky threads (Aerostar parts wanted & replacing a defective sliding door latch).

Thank you, BrooklynBay. I will try two turns on the front band. My reading seemed to indicate that it is the double wrap band (4.0 L engine, '91 A4LD), but no harm in trying another time or two. I'm getting pretty efficient at band adjustments now.

I will also check the stickies.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the results--things could have turned out much, much worse. And we've got the car back on the road. That's definitely a good thing.

Back