after market deck in 96 jbl primium sound system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

after market deck in 96 jbl primium sound system

greger

Reaction score
City, State
langley b.c.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 limited
well as many of you know ive been trying to get a deck in my explorere for a year now and today finally came i went to circuit city today and they have the harness for this stereo its a $50 harness and it wires from your speaker amp in the back panel up to your deck. they gave me two kits one is a metra 99-5802 and the other a metra 70-5715 the installation took two hours and it all went smoothly excpet when you get this done you do loose your factory sub amp..for some reason once you change the deck the signal from the speaker amp to the sub amp goes away..so i rushed back home and bought a wiring kit for my amp and sub at home and now it jsut all works amazing it was well worth the yr long wait i got to say..in the end the installation cost about $150 with the harness's and time and dash kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it a high power deck ?

here is another option you have to consider if it was, ,
the amp in the back will eventually give up if you play it loud a lot, as the input channels will get real hot ,from too much power going in, , also
you will notice with the volume climbing it will get kind of muddy sounding at the top, my Kenwood deck is high power and i had to have the wiring to the amp disconnected and rewired because of it, i think it might cost about 40-50 $ to get a quality stereo shop to bypass it, than the sound will be better,:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i have no i dea what you jsut said.

the jbl system has an amp in the back under the passenger side back window over the wheel ,
it can come back to haunt you ,

oh, is that 2 hours start to finish or did it take them a while before they began on it? personally i knock them out in less than hour and i have to make my own bypass harness with a few packs of speaker wire and an antenna adapter and extension

yea well they had trouble trying to get the sub amp hookd up and they were gonna run rcs from the deck to the stock one but i told them not worry cause i wasent gonna use it once i got across the boarder anyways. but it all works now and wasent very expensive at all so im really happy about it..not time jsut to change out the door speakers.

Was it a high power deck ?

here is another option you have to consider if it was, ,
the amp in the back will eventually give up if you play it loud a lot, as the input channels will get real hot ,from too much power going in, , also
you will notice with the volume climbing it will get kind of muddy sounding at the top, my Kenwood deck is high power and i had to have the wiring to the amp disconnected and rewired because of it, i think it might cost about 40-50 $ to get a quality stereo shop to bypass it, than the sound will be better,:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You should have wired your Kenwood's pre-outs to the factory amp rather than the amplified outputs.

Back