after market exhaust screwed it all up! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

after market exhaust screwed it all up!

jt thomas

Reaction score
City, State
scottsboro al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer limited svt
:thumbdwn:went yesterday to have exhaust put on at my local guy. he asked me what do you want and i said the same thing you put on my 98 gt. he ****ed his head and said cant do the same" BUT I WILL GET YOU CLOSE"........WRONG ! going to tell you what he did and the end result so you guys DONT do it. he says do you want converters and after reading the forums here i said keep the front ditch the back.says ok takes rear two converters, muffler, and small oval resonator off. starts bending and putting 2 2 1/2 inch tubes from y pipe back to a double 2 1/2 inch in magnaflow that comes out 3 inch and proceeds to run 3 inch from out muffler to rear of explorer. well it sounded great idleing and when you revved it sounded great, the problem was when i left. interior was so loud from gears 1,2,3, and initial 4 that i couldnt think, and the tourqe that was there is now GONE. but at highway speeds 65 and higher its docile and pulls like a champ. ive lost fuel mileage already. needless to say im not happy. any suggestions on a fix barring a complete redo? oh shift points are different as well. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a 4.0 or 5.0? Also could you possibly post pics of the setup it would give a clearer idea of what the exhaust looks like.

its a 5.0 let me go take some pics

i took pics cant get them on for some reason

I've got a similar setup on my 5.0 and never lost any torque or mileage. I didn't like the drone in the cab so put an aftermarket resonator back in to take care of that. I've also got Torquemonster Headers in, but drove the truck with an aftermarket exhaust for years without incident.

I know of a LOT of 5.0 owners with similar stories.

Sounds like your exhaust guy and you need to get back to the drawing board.

I doubt the exhaust is the issue. Been there several times before running that same type setup. Do you have a check engine light displayed?

going further, does the check engine light ever display?

ok photo bucket......do i put a resonator before or after muffler? going to photobucket now.

ok photo bucket......do i put a resonator before or after muffler? going to photobucket now.

Mine is after the muffler, real close to the end of the tailpipe. Not a lot of room to work with there, but I've had two exhaust guys do the same thing and install in same place (once in a 2 door and now in my 4 door). I think the OEM resonator is closer the the muffler, but is still downstream of it.

thanks for being paient still working with photobucket. ok after muffler. i believe my muffler is actually supposed to be 3 in in and duel 2.5 in out but they flipped it around . said magnaflows can go either way because of straight through design and no baffles. back to photo bucket. also i would like to put some pics of my explorer on here where do i go for that on this sight

(dead link)

thanks for being paient still working with photobucket. ok after muffler. i believe my muffler is actually supposed to be 3 in in and duel 2.5 in out but they flipped it around . said magnaflows can go either way because of straight through design and no baffles. back to photo bucket. also i would like to put some pics of my explorer on here where do i go for that on this sight

Elite members have greater access and can upload pics directly yo the site.

At the top of the page is a link explaining elite membership

got the others uploading will be on in a minute who knew i could be a computer wizz

yes sir mr turdle will do i need to do that definately

ok check this out

right click on your picture and click "copy image url"

Then in your post you can click "paste" and you will get a link looking like this

(dead link)

if you edit the link with this at the beginning

and this at the end

the link will display directly like this

088.jpg

after looking at the info and what i get ...im in

ok i will try that gimme just a sec

086-1.jpg

wrong pic but it works

had to turn off po up blocker if you want to resend that message mr turdle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had to turn off po up blocker if you want to resend that message mr turdle

ok, now, up by your profile name it says " " private messages". Your messages are all saved. It's still there for ya.

Until you become an elite member, be sure to keep those deleted if you do not want them. Your inbox is limited now.

edit, up on the right hand top where it says "welcome jt thomas"

do you see it now?

Back