• Register Today It's free!

After market Parts

usranger80

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Base
So I am really looking forward to aftermarket parts for the 11 Ex, mainly the dash kits from Metra or Scosche. I don't doubt that the MFT is neat but I would really prefer to put in a Pioneer AVIC-Z130 Navigation, which has most of the features of the MFT and honestly is probably better overall. There are some other things as well, like the cargo mat which would be nice to have. Since most of you probably have an XLT or Limited you won't share in my enthusiasm to put in the Pioneer, but I am more confident of the functionality of that than the MFT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you will run into huge problems, since there are so many car functions tied into the OEM parts. This is what I experienced in my last car as well. The new cars of today are very hard to modify, compared to the cars of the 2005~ era

I think you will run into huge problems, since there are so many car functions tied into the OEM parts. This is what I experienced in my last car as well. The new cars of today are very hard to modify, compared to the cars of the 2005~ era

I would agree if I were taking out a MFT and putting in an aftermarket nav unit, however I have only a basic AM/FM Single disk CD player, and nothing is tied into the radio but the VSS wire (in factory harness) and Antenna cable. Also checked the factory wiring diagrams. I already looked at the connections and they are the exact same as my 08' Escape was which I had a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 installed that worked great. Also, a simple CANBUS adapter will implement all functions that may be lost, like volume adjusting with vehicle speed...which is really all I have for "neat" functions.

If I were in your position, I would try to become comfortable with what you have for the moment. I dont think any kits of any sort will be coming out any time soon. Moreover, because of the MyFord Touch, I think there will be even less demand for after market kits. I was thinking about this too, a week ago when I was thinking about what options to get. I ended up deciding that forking over the extra money for the OEM stuff was an easier/safer option, than depending on the aftermarket. That doesnt help you at this point, but you know... Thats the situation. You could try and go to a custom shop. They could probably do a custom install. But that will be crazy money

If I were in your position, I would try to become comfortable with what you have for the moment. I dont think any kits of any sort will be coming out any time soon. Moreover, because of the MyFord Touch, I think there will be even less demand for after market kits. I was thinking about this too, a week ago when I was thinking about what options to get. I ended up deciding that forking over the extra money for the OEM stuff was an easier/safer option, than depending on the aftermarket. That doesnt help you at this point, but you know... Thats the situation. You could try and go to a custom shop. They could probably do a custom install. But that will be crazy money

Oh yeah, I know its gonna be quite some time if they do come out, I am really just looking for something to do as I really enjoy doing custom installs. Honestly, I don't even get to drive the Ex that much since the wife uses it during the day and I am stuck with the 98 Dodge Ram, and she likes that factory setup, but I can't leave things alone, and "have" to make them better. For now, my Droid phone with Google maps navigation is still the best GPS available on the market right now hands down, the screen is smaller...but it works.

I'm pretty sure that the MFT with Nav uses Google maps too. Both Google maps and my Nav shift my road over 1 spot. No other map system that I know of does.

side note on nav: I think the common person only "really" uses navigation about 3-4 times a year. Probably more like 1-2 times a year. Its great to have. I think it's the type of thing that people could probaby just deal with plugging in an external gps for that 1 family trip. Of course, it would be a different story if you are a pizza delivery boy

Or a traveling salesman or a Field Engineer..

Lots of people have use for onboard nav in their jobs. My corporate division has 80 field reps and technical service reps that are on the road most of the time visiting customers.

what makes google maps the best is the fact that on a smartphone or whatever the maps are updated constantly, its not perfect no, but it is better than out of date maps, or paying to upgrade maps. As far as GPS usage, I use it quite often, not always for directions to my destination, but maybe to find a place along the route. Again, I was not knocking MFT, it would have been cool to have if I could afford the monthly payments for a 35000 vehicle, but that was out of the question, I can however afford to pay 1200 for the top of the line aftermarket nav and a 50$ dash kit when they come out.

Correction on the nav system it uses. It's not Google Maps, it's Telenav.

Hi usranger, we both have the base model, and I too am looking for a good aftermarket head unit, I used to have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, and I got a head unit from this guys...

http://www.caska.com/

They make their units look OEM, unfortunately they dont have it for the 2011 Explorer yet. Check them out, their units can do lots of stuff, I had mine for about 3 years with no problems...

Back