After market radio problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After market radio problems

Reaction score
City, State
Summerton,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer Eddie Bauer
I have been trying to install an after market radio in my 1st Gen explorer bought the harness that has the amp connector and no power really wired the connector as the wires didn't line up, still no power why an I having all these problems, I would like to utilize the oe amp , first deluxe truck all I kp hearing is bypass the amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an adapter for it. Best Buy has it, various places online will too. Your Ex has the "Premium Sound" or "Audiophile (subwoofer)" system. The adapter should make everything work right. :)

power wires on the radio side should be red (switched 21+) yellow(constant 12+) and black(12-)

There is an adapter for it. Best Buy has it, various places online will too. Your Ex has the "Premium Sound" or "Audiophile (subwoofer)" system.

heam *JBL sub*

Diagrams in the link above will help you identify which wires will be supplying power to the new radio, and which ones feed the audio signal to the factory external amplifier.

You could retain the external amplifier by feeding it audio from the low-level pre-amp outputs (usually in the form of RCA jacks) on the aftermarket stereo, IF your new stereo has a separate pair of these outputs for both front and rear. If you connect the new stereo's amplified high-level speaker wires to the amplifier, the speakers will distort at relatively low volume levels and eventually blow out.

Diagrams in the link above will help you identify which wires will be supplying power to the new radio, and which ones feed the audio signal to the factory external amplifier.

You could retain the external amplifier by feeding it audio from the low-level pre-amp outputs (usually in the form of RCA jacks) on the aftermarket stereo, IF your new stereo has a separate pair of these outputs for both front and rear. If you connect the new stereo's amplified high-level speaker wires to the amplifier, the speakers will distort at relatively low volume levels and eventually blow out.

IL be using high rms after market speakers not oe

That diagram doesn't have my harness I have a black square and. A grey rectangle

IL be using high rms after market speakers not oe

That diagram doesn't have my harness I have a black square and. A grey rectangle

Did you look at the diagrams for Ford in that link? The connectors for premium sound, with the rectangular connector for power and the black square connector for audio to the external amplifier are in there....

Even aftermarket speakers are going to sound like junk if you amplify the audio twice. You need to either:

a) connect the 4 pre-amp output channels from the aftermarket stereo's RCA jacks to the black square connector so that the factory external amplifier can drive the speakers and subwoofer,

OR

b) use the amplifier built into the aftermarket stereo by connecting its speaker output wires to the black square connector, and bypass the factory external amplifier. In this scenario, the factory subwoofer will not function.

Did you look at the diagrams for Ford in that link? The connectors for premium sound, with the rectangular connector for power and the black square connector for audio to the external amplifier are in there....

Even aftermarket speakers are going to sound like junk if you amplify the audio twice. You need to either:

a) connect the 4 pre-amp output channels from the aftermarket stereo's RCA jacks to the black square connector so that the factory external amplifier can drive the speakers and subwoofer,

OR

b) use the amplifier built into the aftermarket stereo by connecting its speaker output wires to the black square connector, and bypass the factory external amplifier. In this scenario, the factory subwoofer will not function.

I have the jbl I'm assuming I don'thave a factory sub I want to add a sub in the compartment and swap sub for cubby, and my radio has rca Jacks for sub output, all I want to figure out is how to get the radio to work with oe amp and sound good

I have the jbl

So you do have a factory subwoofer?

I'm assuming I don'thave a factory sub I want to add a sub in the compartment

So you don't have a factory subwoofer, but want to put one in the storage space?

and swap sub for cubby

So you do have a factory subwoofer, but want to get rid of it for the storage space?

I'm really not sure what it is your looking to do, subwoofer-wise. If your new radio does have RCA outputs specifically for a subwoofer amplifier, you can easily use those to feed an aftermarket subwoofer amplifier.

all I want to figure out is how to get the radio to work with oe amp and sound good

As mentioned, you would need a new radio that has pre-amp RCA outputs for both the front pair and rear pair of channels. Also as mentioned, you'll have to connect these 4 pre-amp output channels from the aftermarket radio's RCA jacks to the black square connector so that the factory external amplifier can drive the speakers and factory subwoofer (if you have a factory subwoofer).

I think he wants the sub in the cubby? If you have the JBL system, it's already in there. If you are using the OE amp, putting high RMS speakers in the doors won't do you any good. That amp isn't super powerful. Total is 75 watts divided by four, if I remember right. So, if you want this to sound good, you have to have the right amount of power to drive the speakers. Get a nice set of lower RMS speakers if you're using the factory amp. If you want more power, get a 4 channel amp and go from there.

I think he wants the sub in the cubby? If you have the JBL system, it's already in there. If you are using the OE amp, putting high RMS speakers in the doors won't do you any good. That amp isn't super powerful. Total is 75 watts divided by four, if I remember right. So, if you want this to sound good, you have to have the right amount of power to drive the speakers. Get a nice set of lower RMS speakers if you're using the factory amp. If you want more power, get a 4 channel amp and go from there.

I have the cubby I want the sub Wichita I will be getting after market and running directly to the sub output on the head unit, but I bought this adapter kit for the amplified stereo but it looked like it was wired wrong
I need to get the radio to power up

Back