• Register Today It's free!

After using the 4x4

rudiegonewild

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey, I went offroading this last saturday and used the 4 wheel drive, and i've noticed that after disabling it, it almost sounds like it's winding, or like when a card hits a spoke on a bike repeatedly. When i slow down it clunks and it's fine... this happens every time i start driving the car for about a day or two afterwards. My guess is that the Auto Locking hubs aren't quite completely unlocked for some reason. I was wondering if anyone had any input on this. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is exactly what it sounds like. I would pull and check their condition. Make sure there is grease build up in your hubs, they should have only been lubed with a light coating of tranny fluid.

Mine has the same problem, it does it when it is engaged tho. I was told to get the manual locks for off roading as the auto locks werent made for that or something.

manual hubs will last longer and are a lot cheeper. the last time i priced a auto hub it was $300, i got both manual hubs and the conversion kit for under $200

Mine did the same thing, i just backed it up almost 100 feet to ge it out of 4x4...

dgibson said:
manual hubs will last longer and are a lot cheeper. the last time i priced a auto hub it was $300, i got both manual hubs and the conversion kit for under $200

Where would i get the conversion kit? and is it hard to install?

You can get the manual hubs and the conversion kit (consists of a couple large nuts and washers) at any major auto parts store. Found mine to be cheaper purchased at a specialty truck supply store. Make sure you get the right ones. They come in 26 and 32 tooth. Not hard to install just a bit of patience. I am a joke of a shade tree mechanic and did both sides in under an hour. Went with manual hubs because mine was doing the same thing. Until the were swapped, I was having to pull and clean out the grease buildup in the hubs about every 3k miles to keep that from happening. If you want to clean them, here is what i did: took them off and ran the hubs through a parts washer, then applied a thin layer of tranny fluid and reassembled.

i got mine from some 4wd wholesale site online. i just can't remember the site now. i tried looking for you, but i'm just not sure. extremely easy to install.

Back