• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket air intakes

bensexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Weymouth MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I brought my explorer to the shop to have the transmission looked at and he noticed that i have an aftermarket air intake on it. He told me that the cone filters do a horrible job filtering out the dirt and and destroy the mass air flow sensor. I havent heard the before so im a little skeptical to believe that. I have a l3 racing air intake on it that i bought from ebay. Anyone have any thoughts i don't want to mess up my mass air flow sensor because they are really expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The guy is full of ****. Some years of Explorers and many other Fords come from the factory with cone filters. I wouldn't take my Explorer back to that jackass again.

Hell the idiot probably uses FRAM oil filters too.

The oil from a k&n style filter can coat the maf sensor and throw the reading off, if you use to much oil. But if that happens it's just a matter of cleaning it off with some maf sensor cleaner. But I'm sure a lot of shops would be more than happy to tell you the oil destroyed the maf sensor so they could sell you a new one.

air intake

What about ebay intakes vs. the brand name ones? Mine is made by l3 racing but i figure an intake is an intake.

I'm sure your mechanic isn't talking about ALL cone filters. he's talking about the open low end cone filters on most cheap air intakes. Even a k&n doesn't do a good job in some areas of the country. Here in nj espeacialy in southern nj the sand is so fine it will pass through the filter and go into your motor and score up the cylinders. the damage occors quickly when offroadind...In areas with fine sand a prefilter would be recomended for over your cone folter. Also make sure your air filter is oiled well if it is required for your filter this also helps grab the tiny particles that could get though...

What about ebay intakes vs. the brand name ones? Mine is made by l3 racing but i figure an intake is an intake.
The piping used is more or less the same from one brand to another. If I was going to run a no-name ebay intake, I certainly wouldn't run the filter that came with it. I'd get a K&N, Amsoil Eaa or AEM dryflow filter instead.

what one would you recommend for a 99 ford explorer sport for an air intake

I have a K&N intake on my '00 and i love it. I have taken my truck in a few diferent times to Ford and to Firestone and neither of them had said a thing about my intake. So i agree with the fact that this guy is an idiot. i dont really see any reason as to why yours would be any worse off.

Back