• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket amp under rear seat?

302Xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I would like to put an Alpine amp under the rear seat to power my 4 speakers. Only problem is, I often fold the seats down for cargo space. Can you place an amp there w/o any problems?
It's specs are:
Height - 2.3 inches
Width - 9.5 inches
Depth - 9.1 inches
Weight - 4.6 lbs

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

302Xplorer said:
I would like to put an Alpine amp under the rear seat to power my 4 speakers. Only problem is, I often fold the seats down for cargo space. Can you place an amp there w/o any problems?
It's specs are:
Height - 2.3 inches
Width - 9.5 inches
Depth - 9.1 inches
Weight - 4.6 lbs

Thanks
I had 4 Alpine amps in my Explorer and the answer to your question is no. I measuered, checked, measured again, checked again and no way will it work right. It will get stepped on and broken in the end or damaged in some way. If you only have the 1 amp, you may be able to put under the front passenger seat depending on which amp it is. You could build a fake floor in the back and install it there...
Just my 0.02 cents worth of information.

i have 2 amps under my back seat...jbl 300.1 and jbl 80.4 and theres no problems. that alpine youve got doesnt sound all that large, it seems like itll fit...

Put your amps under the seat covers of the back seat. That way they are hidden and nobody knows you even have them.

I run an 800w and 1000w and they never get hot. Plus under the seat cover they have some protection.

i have 2 JL Audio 1000/1 underneath my back seat, and needless to say they are two of the biggest and most powerful amps on the market, and i have never had any problems with heat or damage, they are not even in view unless you put your head down there and look for them. I would put the amp under there. No one will step on them, and if they somehow manage to...make them walk, they dont need to be in your ex. Your single Alpine WILL fit i can promise you.

But what about when you fold the seats down?

Ive got a Lightning Audio 700w amp under the back seat passenger side. Its fits great, and its pretty big. The seat folds down perfect too, doesn't even touch the amp. If you have the amps already, go test fit them, that wont hurt anything, plus you could save yourself some installation time if it doesn't work out.
Good Luck and post a pic when youre done

the seat touches mine...i just make sure to not pound on the system when i got the seats folded down so they dont get too hot

Back