Aftermarket Apple Carplay Receiver 2016 Exp. XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Apple Carplay Receiver 2016 Exp. XLT

idesi1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I am debating on adding Aftermarket Apple Carplay receiver (sony, pioneer kenwood etc) to my 2016 Ford Explorer XLT.
But am concerned if it will interfere with remote start , back up camera etc on the OEM unit.
So need some input if anyone here has successfully installed any such unit.
I believe I have a 8" Unit without the sony logo.

TIA
Shad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be easier to upgrade to SYNC 3. Then add the updates usb hub.

Then you’ll have CarPlay.

One of the only things that I've read here that could interfere with remote start is having something plugged into a power outlet or USB port. Do you have MyFord Touch (MFT)?

Peter

One of the only things that I've read here that could interfere with remote start is having something plugged into a power outlet or USB port. Do you have MyFord Touch (MFT)?

Peter

Yes . My car has MFT

SYNC3 conversion is the easiest way to go.

I agree, converting to SYNC3 is the best best and looks factory fresh. I spent around $800 for everything including the dongle for ForSCAN. I loved it so much, I converted my wife's 2013 Ford Fusion too. While she won't admit it, I know she loves it. It truly modernizes your cars feel leaving MFT.

Thanks for all your inputs and based on this I decided to go with Sync 3 conversion.
appreciate ya”ll.
happy holidays!!!

I just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT. How do you convert to SYNC3?
What size display do you have? 4" or 8".
There are a few more threads that you can find using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

If you are upgrading from SYNC 2
You need:
1. Sync3 Apim, navi or non.
2. Sync3 screen, recessed model for Explorer
3. USB hub
4. USB hub pigtail generation 2
5. You will need Windows laptop, free app ForScan (forscan. org), pay 10.00 for extended license, a compatible elm27 adapter with mscan/hscan switch (to program the apim, once it boots up)
6. File to load with forscan, to program apim (i paid 60.00 for a guy on the web to send me the file and instructions for forscan)

Note: ForScan has been the best investment i have made, so many options you can change or enable. I enabled remote start, programmed keys (unfortunately 2016 and newer, you cannot program keys), set light options, to name s few.
You will use the brackets off your screen and install on the sync3 screen. If you don’t get the recessed screen, you will have to mod the bracket to fit.
I got all the parts off EBay, and very pleased.
Joe

Back