Aftermarket bumpers?

Handy

Reaction score
City, State
Clear Lake, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'86 LX
Hi guys,
I just bought a '93 Exporer. I am looking for some aftermarket bumpers to replace the stock peices. I would like a front bumper with a winch mount and a rear one with a spare tire carrier. The only thing is I don't want tube bumpers. I want plate type bumpers. I have done allot of searching but so far have come up empty handed. Also any good sites that cater to first gen Expos for off road parts.I have some big plans for this Expo. Thanks.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only bolt on bumpers for sale that I know of (for Explorers) are made by James Duff and are pretty expensive when you compare it to the cost of a custom one. Most everyone on this site with a winch on the front bumper have made their bumper or had it made. I've found that I can get a completely custom front bumper with winch mounts, light mounts, d-rings, small stinger, small skidplate, etc for about 400. This is cheap when comparing to the price of the James Duff bumpers...even the ones with out winch mounts. I'd go custom. That way you can have it made the way you want it.

My front bumper is for a XJ. I had to cut the front of the frame off and make a new mount, but it was a lot cheaper than having a custom made plate bumper. Got it from Protofab in AZ.
3817Bumper_3_a.jpg

Rear bumper is custom made by me and cost me a few hundred in metal, plus alot of hours work.
3817Oroflame_Cyn_7_.jpg

There's nothing made that you can just buy. Has to be custom, or another application adapted(ie-made) to work. And James Duff claims their bumpers won't fit a 1st gen X.

Jason94sport said:
There's nothing made that you can just buy. Has to be custom, or another application adapted(ie-made) to work. And James Duff claims their bumpers won't fit a 1st gen X.

really? they have a pic of their bumpers on a first gen... they also price them out for a first gen..

I like BKennedys bumper

Jason94sport said:
That's not true. Like Creager said, they have prices/pics of them for 1st gens. Also, NOTAJP had one on his 1st gen.

Maybe they changed then? Last time I called about 6 months ago they claimed they didn't fit

Are you thinking of the rear bumpers? I know that they don't make them for the rear, but they do for the front. They have made them for the front for quite a while. NOTAJP's is atleast a year-year and half old.

I see.......I was talking about the rear bumpers with the spare tire carrier.

BKennedy, that is exactly the look of bumpers I am after. How well does the XJ bumper fit? Was it hard to adapt? Finding bumpers for my '73 Bronco is just as hard. I had one custom made for the front but I want one to match it for the rear but can't find what I want so I am planning on making it myself. So I guess I will make them for the Expo too. The only thing I am unsure about is how to build the tire carrier part that will swing out. I do know some guys use some car spindle. I might have to get real creative. The mods will commence now. Thanks for the help guys.

Paul

BKennedy, Me too! At least for the front. I am planning on going topless and I am not sure exactly what I want for the rear yet.

For the rear tire carrier, most people use a trailer spindle and bearings. Several off-road fabricators make a complete weld-in kit.

The front bumper is from Protofab4x4.com. I got it for an XJ because the width was right. It took some extensive modifications to the front frame to get it to mount up. Had to cut the frame rails back to the first body mount, then added a 1/2" thick plate across the front of both rails, then welded 1/2" thick mounting tabs onto that with triangle gussetts all around. Ended up cutting off the existing mounting tabs on the bumper and moving it inward about 2" to get it to fit right. To do that, I had to notch the sheet metal under the grill for the winch to fit.

The guy I talked to on the phone said he might make then for an Explorer if there was enough interest.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Protofab makes a front winch bumper like mine for the early Bronco. Its a little wider and a little heavier.

heres pretty nice one i saw at a show
737088_80_full.jpg

its custom, and it only cost him $150 soo i say custom is the way to go

Back