Aftermarket catalytic converters 2004 up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket catalytic converters 2004 up?

Elgato

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
Has anyone used any of the aftermarket catalytic converters such as Magnaflow on a 2004 or newer Explorer or Ranger with California emissions?

The exhaust shops are uncertain if the check engine light will be a problem.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 03 x in which I just had Magnaflow racing stainless cats installed. Worked great, no CEL great performance. These were the racing cats which have less cells than the standard cats.

-Joe

I am thinking of using one on my 1993 EX, but i am also thinking of removing it altogether. My O2 sensors are WAY before the CAT and i only have two of them and they are in the Y-Pipe closer to the Intake and about 4-5 feet away from CAT.

Now i know its illegal to take it off, but i am not and i repeat am not paying $250-$300.00 for a Catylatic Convertor for a 15 year old vehicle. I won't even want to pay $100.00 to $150.00.

My cat is fine, but is rusty is all and i hear rattling from it, i think it is almost on its way out. Its not plugged up as the truck goes like a bat out of hell and good gas mileage.

Joe,
Do you have a CA emissions truck? They should work but the shops will not guarantee it because anything newer than five years has not been tested and certified yet.
Thanks

The 04 3.0 Ranger has a one piece Y pipe with a Cat on each side with O2 sensors before and after each. This then connects to a third Cat that does not appear to have sensors. It should be illegal for Ford to gouge this much on mandatory emissions parts.

My understanding is that this configuration is from 03 thru 06. Explorers are a 4.0 so I am not sure if they are the same.

Thanks

Unknown if it a CA emissions truck. How would I tell? I live in NH

--Joe

Unknown if it a CA emissions truck. How would I tell? I live in NH

--Joe

The CA trucks have a sticker under the hood that says they are certified for CA. Mine is up front near the radiator. They are just a bit more strict on emissions.

I am just wonder is all.

If i do remove my convertor what will it do to my performance and or gas mileage, remember my O2's are on the Y-pipe itself about 4-5 feet away from convertor.

There are no California certified catalytic converters for California OBDII Explorers. Also, Ford has discontinued the OEM cat so if you live in California and your converter goes out your SOL.

Back