• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Console Shifters

cherrybomb

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 5.0L (R.I.P)
I've been doing some research into replacing my column shifter with an aftermarket unit, custom mounted into my center console.

I've got a V8 2WD, which means I've got the 4R70W tranny.

From my research here, and on summitracing.com, and google searches, it appears that the ONLY shifter which currently exists that has the correct shift pattern for my tranny is the B&M Hammer Console Shifter.

I'd prefer to find something a bit smaller, like a Hurst Quarter Stick, or something like that.

I've heard it mentioned that a shifter with an AOD, or AODE shift pattern can "easily" be modified to work with the 4R70W, but I haven't really seen any write-ups on how that can be done. I'm hoping maybe someone can direct me to those instructions, or perhaps recommend another aftermarket (smaller) shifter that will work with my tranny.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may be wrong but I seem to recall someone doing a conversion like this and using a Taurus shifter. Might try searching for it.

briwayjones said:
I may be wrong but I seem to recall someone doing a conversion like this and using a Taurus shifter. Might try searching for it.
I've seen a few threads where people have talked about doing this, but never completed it.

Plus, I don't really want a shifter from another ford, I want a performance aftermarket shifter which has positive reverse lockout, etc.

So far as I can tell, I'm really stuck with the B&M Hammer, which is a bit of a bummer.

Thanks for the input. :)

Edit: Looks like its 410Fortune. He put that in his BII for the V8/4R70W swap.

Hmmn, even more interesting. I just called B&M to ask them if there is a shifter that'll work for my transmission, and they told me that they simply don't have one.

I should have probably asked more questions, but this is a bit confusing, and discouraging.

I sent of a tech question to Summit Racing, we'll see what their guru's say.

Plus, I'm looking at Taurus' and I don't see that they used a 4R70W in anything other than the SHO, which may be hard to come by.

Wasn't aware that the SHO used the AODE/4R70W trans, but another possibility is a shifter from any 94 & up Mustang.

I would think that the Hammer shifter would be the way to go. At least you will have a complete list of parts.

Good luck either way, post up some pics if you complete this.

Yeah, it's looking like I may be wrong about the SHO.

Looks like its a 96-03 Mustang, or a 95-97 Thunderbird/Cougar.

Again, I'd really like the ratcheting action etc. that comes with an aftermarket unit, but it looks like the only way to be SURE about it is to use an OEM shifter from one of those rigs.

I'll definately find something, and I'll gladly post a writeup.

Looks like 410Fortune actually used a 96 Mustang shifter for his. :)

Bill MacLeod said:
Wasn't aware that the SHO used the AODE/4R70W trans, but another possibility is a shifter from any 94 & up Mustang.

I would think that the Hammer shifter would be the way to go. At least you will have a complete list of parts.

Good luck either way, post up some pics if you complete this.

This actually raises another question for me, which I can't seem to find a straight answer to anywhere.

As far as I can tell from my research only the 96-03 Mustangs had the 4R70W, though 94 and 95 had the AODE. Your message indicates that I can use any shifter from any mustang that is 94 or newer.

Does this mean then, that the shift pattern, and length of the throw for an AODE and 4R70W are EXACTLY the same?

I can't seem to find any information that proves otherwise, but I also don't read anywhere "There is no difference between the shift pattern and throw of an AODE and a 4R70W".

I'm watching a couple shifters on eBay from Thunderbirds and Mustangs. The mustang claims to be a "94 and up" shifter, so I'm leaning toward that one, as it's cheaper. I just want to make sure I won't have to modify it, or the lever on my transmission in order to use it!

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge, there was only cosmetic changes in the Mustang shifter handles in the late 90's. But I have never checked them over.

The AODE/4R70W was also used in the Mark VIII, possibly the Crown Vic and also in the T-bird. I think all of these are 4R70W.

Check these sites for more info:
www.becontrols.com
www.tccoa.com

The trans articles on the TCCOA site have a ton of info on the AODE/4R70W trans family.

BTW, the Hammer Shifter may be your only choice for a true ratchet shifter.

Okay, well, I won the bid on the "94 & up" shifter on eBay, so we'll see how that one goes.

If I feel it's just not enough control, I may try out the B&M. Also I've discovered that there is an Art Carr gated shifter that would work. Got this idea from 410Forture as well, since he was considering one for his BII swap.

Thanks again for the information, I'll update everyone here when I get the shifter, and try it out. :)

Okay your trans is a 4r70w, this is true. However as far as the shifter and cable are concerned it is a AOD. PRND21 thats it.
the OD button can be any button whether its mounted in the shifter or not.

your column shifter uses a cable and a bracket mounted to the trans.
You can use any cable shifter made for Ford AOD or AOD-e or 4r70w, where you will run into problems is the bracket on the trans itself.
There are two types of shift arms (the arm that comes off the selector on the trans) some go up and some go down. Car ones typically go down, truck ones typically go up (likely to avoid the front driveshaft)

The ones for the Mustang are made so th ecable approaches the shifter from the rear of the trans (shift arm goes down) the one on your Explorer goes up and the cable approaches the trans from the front (arm goes up)

I used a 96 Mustang floor shifter for a couple of reasons. First my truck was originally a 5 speed so I have a hole on the floor. Second, I wanted to get my truck running and did not at the time have the $$$ or the patiece to wait for an Art Carr AOD unit converted to work with my AOD-e (same as 4r70w)

Now the nice thing about the 96 Stang shifter was the OD button was built in, great for me since I needed to add one to my swap. I used my stock dashpot RABS light location for my new OD OFF indicator light. This was simple to wire up and looks factory.

Now I ran into a few issues using this shifter that took me an entire weekend to get figured out. As I said the Mustang uses a cable that approaches the trans shift arm from the back, my 4r70w had the shift arm on it that points up (or cable comes from the front) So my Mustang floor shifter cable actually does a complete 360, it leaves the floor shifter headed towards th eback of th etruck, I made it do a U turn and routed it over to the D side frame rail, then it goes ahead of the trans and makes another U turn so it approaches the trans from the front. Obviously in order for this cable to work I had to fabricate a bracket that mouted to the existing mounting holes in the side of the trans and accepts the end of the cable. the cable, although it worked, was a bit too short for this 360, so I ended up getting another longer cable from my local Mustang shop (junk yard parts) If I remember right it is a 60" cable, what I had before was like 40" or something....

it works perfectly.

You have options. Any aftermarket shifter company that makes a floor shifter for an AOD also makes one that can be easily modified to work with your 4r70w. I am partial to Art Carr gate shifters because of the price and their knowledge of transmissions. Also alot of my friends use their shifters in their race trucks.

I was planning to ditch my mustang shifter for the Art Carr unit eventually, but I am actually really pleased with the fit, placement, and feel of the stock Mustang unit, plus it looks factory. I was worried it would be too short for a truck when mounted on the floor, but I can reach it quite easily.

I hope that helps a bit, alot of the shifter companies are just not familiar with the 4r70W yet, but like I said as far as your trans is concerned the Ford PRND21 pattern is all you really need to worry about. You can make any cable shifter with this pattern work on your trans....

Thanks much 410! I knew you had some experience with this, and I appreciate you sharing it.

I realize that lots of Ford transmissions have the PRND21 pattern, but it was my understanding that the actual amount of travel of the cable/lever between each gear differed between transmissions. Evidently, this is not true?

It would make sense from Ford perspective to make them all the same actually, so they don't need to re-engineer it over and over again, but I haven't read anywhere that this is true, for a fact. That seems to be what you're saying here, any AOD or newer PRND21 shift pattern Ford shifter, has the exact same pattern, and detents as my 4R70W?

Thanks again for your insight. As I mentioned above, it looks like I'll go the same way you did with the stock Mustang shifter, at least for a while, then maybe consider something a bit fancier.

Back