• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket exhaust 4.0

CrGy2087

Reaction score
City, State
plano, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
Okay, I need help. I've searched everywhere I can think of and can't find the answers I'm looking for, I want an aftermarket exhaust for my '02 explorer xlt 4.0. I want something with a feed sound to it that doesn't sound like a ricer and I don't want to run an open/gutted exhaust either. Any help or knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've looked around, theres a Gibson cat back kit that fits but it doesn't seem to be much better than stock. The best bet is going to a custom exhaust shop

There are lots of threads on this. Im sure you can find what you are looking for

Magnaflow makes an awesome catback. It should be exactly the sounds you are looking for.

2nd vote for magnaflow muffler but go a custom 2 1/2" cat back system from ya local exhaust shop. Good luck

2nd vote for magnaflow muffler but go a custom 2 1/2" cat back system from ya local exhaust shop. Good luck
The Magnaflow kit is already a 2-1/2" cat-back. I believe the part number is 15718.

Cool cool.

Any idea how much a custom catback with a single magnaflow cost? Looking to get one done up...catback possibly or include a dummy cat in the new piping

I have the Gibson cat-back and it is a little more than stock, but it isn't annoying like a V-6 with an exhaust usually is. My buddy was behind me when I did a couple acceleration pulls and he said it definitely has a better sound to it when you get on it, and I notice the most sound at around 2k RPM but it isn't a drone like you get with Flowmasters. The kit was a pain to install since it goes up and over the axle and the pipes for some reason had to be really mashed together so they didn't rub, but I have had it for almost a year and I don't regret it.

Any idea how much a custom catback with a single magnaflow cost? Looking to get one done up...catback possibly or include a dummy cat in the new piping

Dunno mate, but the quote I got for the shop to make one up and fit was about $50 cheaper than the full catback system purchase price. I got the magnaflow muffler off fleabay.

Just worth ringing a few shops for quotes....But its been about 5 years since I did mine :eek:

Dunno mate, but the quote I got for the shop to make one up and fit was about $50 cheaper than the full catback system purchase price. I got the magnaflow muffler off fleabay.

Just worth ringing a few shops for quotes....But its been about 5 years since I did mine :eek:

thats exactly the reference pount i was looking for :thumbsup: choosing between the 50 series and a magnaflow, custom catback with a single exit. would love SS but aluminized steel will have to do for now :eek: that ***** expensive!!

Yeah, stainless might be a consideration up your way if the roads get salted and ya keeping her for awhile otherwise for the price, mild steels sweet, an just replace it later on down the track ay :thumbsup:

I had a Magnaflow put on my '04. It sounds just a bit throatier than stock, but is a good kind of throaty. Not ricer obnoxious or raspy. I had a local muffler shop put in on with a chrome tip for $250. It is the stainless one and should last quite awhile, since I live in Wetter Washington, we do not have to much salt or ice melting crap on the roads up here!

I just installed a flowmaster speed 40 2.25" OD myself. I kept it simple and used the stock piping but mine's a V8 so I'm not sure what size V6's are. Anyways it was pretty easy, the flowmaster slipped right over the stock pipe (stock pipe is 2.25" ID).

Cost was $110. Good time to learn to weld =)

Don't get a catback, it's not worth it. If you want really loud, do this- take out the secondary cat (the one that's right in front of the muffler) and replace it with pipe. There are no O2 sensors after it, so no lights will go on. Then, you have two routes. Flowmaster super ten will give you a really deep, gurgling kinda V8 sound. Not sure what a glasspack would sound like, but it would be kinda ricey. I currently have this setup but with a flowmaster 40 series. Drone is not bad on the highway. It's canceled out with moderate to loud music. If you want slightly less louder, just swap out the muffler with a muffler of your choice. It's up to you to research and see what sound you like, because they're all different. Oh, and in case you were wondering, changing your exhaust system will not effect MPG, performance, or anything like that. Changes are minuscule and you will not notice. And trust me when I say, if you do the first option it will be LOUD.

Don't get a catback, it's not worth it. If you want really loud, do this- take out the secondary cat (the one that's right in front of the muffler) and replace it with pipe. There are no O2 sensors after it, so no lights will go on. Then, you have two routes. Flowmaster super ten will give you a really deep, gurgling kinda V8 sound. Not sure what a glasspack would sound like, but it would be kinda ricey. I currently have this setup but with a flowmaster 40 series. Drone is not bad on the highway. It's canceled out with moderate to loud music. If you want slightly less louder, just swap out the muffler with a muffler of your choice. It's up to you to research and see what sound you like, because they're all different. Oh, and in case you were wondering, changing your exhaust system will not effect MPG, performance, or anything like that. Changes are minuscule and you will not notice. And trust me when I say, if you do the first option it will be LOUD.

You just cut the cat out, and straight pipes it to a new muffler? No increase in tubing size? Any pictures by any chance? Cuz I could have sworn there was an O2 sensor there

You just cut the cat out, and straight pipes it to a new muffler? No increase in tubing size? Any pictures by any chance? Cuz I could have sworn there was an O2 sensor there

Yes, if you don't know how just bring it to an exhaust shop and they'll gladly cut out your cut, put pipe where it was, and give you your cat. I got it done for $60. No increase in tubing size. If you want an increase in tubing size, that's going to be expensive and you might as well get a custom catback. I could probably PM some pictures tomorrow if you really want them. And no, there are no O2 sensors immediately before the cat or ANY after it. If there were there would be a check engine light, and I haven't had it come on. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about your pre cats. I'm talking about the big cat after the Y pipe meets the exhaust manifolds.

Thanks for the info...looks like I'm going to pep boys tomorrow and doing some work!! Finally someone did exactly what I've been looking to do...always good to have reaffirmation when doing a project haha

Make sure they let you keep your cat, because if you don't you'll spend an arm and a leg both buying a new one and having that welded in. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure they let you keep your cat, because if you don't you'll spend an arm and a leg both buying a new one and having that welded in. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!:salute:

You have the super 40 in right now...did you already run the super 10? I don't really want drone, i want more of a gurgle. my truck goes mainly offroad but i do drive it around town sometimes.

Back