Aftermarket exhaust 4.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket exhaust 4.0

You have the super 40 in right now...did you already run the super 10? I don't really want drone, i want more of a gurgle. my truck goes mainly offroad but i do drive it around town sometimes.

I've hear the super 10 and it's very loud. Super 40 will give you a good, loud sound with some drone. You need to remember that there is no switch for your exhaust- if you want it to be loud, it will ALWAYS be loud. You get used to it. There is no way to get the "nice and quiet gurgle in the low RPM's, loud muscle car in the highs" this does not exist. It will always be loud if you go with the super 10, and the super 40 is pretty close behind it. If you drive your car with no music or anything on the highway, you'll get sick of it. Putting on quiet to moderate music cancels out the drone though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i grabbed the delta 50 flow master, should be here in a few days. going to have the shop cut the cat out and replace the stock muffler...cant wait to hear it. ill post pics and a sound clip

i grabbed the delta 50 flow master, should be here in a few days. going to have the shop cut the cat out and replace the stock muffler...cant wait to hear it. ill post pics and a sound clip

Just got the delta 50 series installed yesterday. Sounds great, just one problem.

The shop said there is an o2 sensor after the cat so he didn't take it out...how did you guys chop out your cats? I'm looking to go back and get the cat removed...some of you posted that there would be no problems/no 02 sensors to worry about :mad::mad::mad::mad: and when i go back with the solution ill also have him remove the resonator.

Just got the delta 50 series installed yesterday. Sounds great, just one problem.

The shop said there is an o2 sensor after the cat so he didn't take it out...how did you guys chop out your cats? I'm looking to go back and get the cat removed...some of you posted that there would be no problems/no 02 sensors to worry about :mad::mad::mad::mad: and when i go back with the solution ill also have him remove the resonator.

What year is your explorer? I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer Edition 4X4 V6, and after the main cat there are no O2 sensors. Go under your car and see for yourself if there are any wires or anything connecting to your exhaust. The cat of interest is the one right in front of your muffler, so check from there back.

What year is your explorer? I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer Edition 4X4 V6, and after the main cat there are no O2 sensors. Go under your car and see for yourself if there are any wires or anything connecting to your exhaust. The cat of interest is the one right in front of your muffler, so check from there back.

I have a 2004 v6 xlt 4x4. I don't readily see any o2s after it...I have a feeling he didn't want to deal with going from the 2.25" pipe to the ~3" at the secondary cat inlet. I'll double check tomorrow and see if he was BSing me...pretty sure he was. In the event he was, I may wait a few weeks to get the cat removed until the muffler breaks in fully to see what it will sound like over the long run.

You think removing the secondary cat directly before the muffler would make a difference in sound as well as power? Thanks for the quick response.

I have a 2004 v6 xlt 4x4. I don't readily see any o2s after it...I have a feeling he didn't want to deal with going from the 2.25" pipe to the ~3" at the secondary cat inlet. I'll double check tomorrow and see if he was BSing me...pretty sure he was. In the event he was, I may wait a few weeks to get the cat removed until the muffler breaks in fully to see what it will sound like over the long run.

You think removing the secondary cat directly before the muffler would make a difference in sound as well as power? Thanks for the quick response.

I didn't really notice a power difference, but if there was it might have give 2-3 HP at best. The main reason for me removing it was to clean up the sound of the exhaust a little, which it did. With the 40 series I have it sounds MUCH cleaner in the lower RPM's, but not too different higher up in the range. Now, if you changed the piping diameter, while also removing the cat and throwing in a free flowing muffler, you'd probably see a somewhat noticeable power increase. I'm no expert on this stuff, so google might be your best friend.

I didn't really notice a power difference, but if there was it might have give 2-3 HP at best. The main reason for me removing it was to clean up the sound of the exhaust a little, which it did. With the 40 series I have it sounds MUCH cleaner in the lower RPM's, but not too different higher up in the range. Now, if you changed the piping diameter, while also removing the cat and throwing in a free flowing muffler, you'd probably see a somewhat noticeable power increase. I'm no expert on this stuff, so google might be your best friend.

Understood understood. Unfortunately I already purchased the 2.25" inlet/outlet 50 series. Noticed a little power increase, and a definite sound increase at lower RPMs. Anything above 2nd gear the sound difference isn't noticeable below 2k RPM. Ideally by removing the cat id hope it broadens the sound spectrum, the tone is pretty good as it sits.

Is it unheard of to taper the pipe from the ~3" before the cat to 2.25" for the muffler inlet? I would have gone larger, but I was worried about losing back pressure plus this dropped right in place of the stocker. Thanks.

Just got my 40 series in and they recommended 2.25 offset in and 2.25 center out, is this correct? Will it be a slip for our do i need adapters?

Back