• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket floor mat experience?

gh67

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0-sold;06 Limited v8
Hey all, I saw the Weathertech cargo mat thread but wonder if anyone has experience with high quality aftermarket floor mats. From what I've seen online, Weathertech and Nifty make the nicest. I'm leaning towards a full set of ones with nylon carpet that you can hose off. Nifty also makes a 2nd and 3rd row "over the hump" carpeted mat that looks great.

Would appreciate any experience you have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the weathertech mats in my 06, fit very good but I do wish they had made them a bit larger to protect the carpet on the sides a little more. Not so much an issue for the driver, but when you have a wife that can't leave her feet flat on the floor the passenger side starts to get a little dirty. Overall well worth the money

Thanks for the link. Right now I'm only looking at carpet blend mats....but those are great looking liners.

I have the weathertech mats in my 06, fit very good but I do wish they had made them a bit larger to protect the carpet on the sides a little more. Not so much an issue for the driver, but when you have a wife that can't leave her feet flat on the floor the passenger side starts to get a little dirty. Overall well worth the money

haha....i gripe at my wife for the same exact issue. It looks like the Nifty "catch-all premiums" go fairly high on the sides but i can't tell from the pictures how good the carpet quality is.

http://lundinternational.com/PartDetail.aspx?partno=609275&mmcode=1432150&catcode=NIF

I have had three explorers and three sets of weathertech mats and LOVED them. The only reason why I have three sets is because i wanted a new pair each time I got a new X, but I still "see" my old explorers and they are going strong (the oldest is a 1992). They hold so much water and snow and dirt. They have shown a little wear on the point my heel pivots for the pedals, but have not worn through and that is after about 10 years.

I always get the ones without the carpet (just rubber) and put them over top of my stock mats. I get the fronts and rears, I've never had the cargo one, but it looks nice. The mats fit perfectly. The rear seat ones are made to be cut to the configuration, but I don't cut them so I get the maximum coverage of the carpet. It's nice to not worry about mud and the rest in the winter and they wash off well.

If you get them and they are dark in color don't be concerned, they will lighten over time as they "dry out"? I think they have some oils or moisture in them that eventually dries out and then the match the carpet perfectly.

Back