Aftermarket fuel pump vs Factory fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket fuel pump vs Factory fuel pump

Jdrii

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I had a local mechanic replace a bad fuel pump in my 2005 Ford Explorer. There was a $300 difference between the aftermarket and the factory. I said we can go with the aftermarket. Well, the first time I filled the tank after having the fuel pump installed I noticed the gauge didn't go up past the *full mark (like it did before I brought it in). After a couple of times filling up it started bugging me that the gauge wouldn't show it's full, rather the gauge would show between 3/4s to full. I called the mechanic and asked why my gauge would show that it's full when I know the tank is full because it took just shy of 16 gallons. (Yes, I ran it down to Empty to test the tank size) The mechanic told me it's because I used an aftermarket pump and not a factory one. This doesn't sound right to me. Obviously I know little about vehicles, does this sound right or is it because now the fuel gauge isn't sitting correctly in my tank? Thank you in advance for responding. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like he's handing you a load.

There are a variety of "aftermarket" pump assemblies. Airtex, Carter, Delphi, Bosch and more. Often, one of these is the OE manufacturer.

So, if by aftermarket you mean a non dealer parts store, it's still possible you got an OE pump.

i get that with the stock pump, i usually have to turn the car on and off 4 or 5 times before the gauge reads full, not sure if it actually helps but i did put a fuel system cleaner in and it seemed to fix the problem.

Back