• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket fuel pump

iwannax

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I searched but couldnt find what I wanted so here it goes.

My 1994 explorer died on me the other day, giving me the perfect opportunity to do a needed tune-up to eliminate possibilities ( plugs/wires, fuel filter, etc.). It started but after a few secs. it shuddered and died and would not restart. But if I waited a few mins, it would do the same thing (starting, shuddering, dying, no restarting)

I have receipts from the previous owner showing fuel pump replacements on a yearly basis, and if this one is going out, is there a way to install an external electric fuel pump on the frame rail? If not for dependability, but for easy access?

I might just have to do the trap-door mod to gain easier access to the tank for replacements.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look at wiring problems from the relay to the pump. I have over 140k on my pump. They should be VERY reliable units.

Ryan

I hear the humming noise, Im not used to this much electronics Haha. But its due for a tune-up so I will change the plugs/wires and fuel filter for sure. Maybe change the O2 sensors, clean the MAF, and maybe the IAC (?).

Should I get a fuel pressure gauge for diagnostic work?

It won't hurt. But you also need something along the lines of a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (aka DVOM)

As a matter of fact, I just saw a good deal on one in AutoZone....it was $30, from Actron. It was specifically an Auto DVOM...If I didn't already have a REALLY nice one, I would have bought it.

Ryan

Well I went to Autozone and rented the $150 fuel pressure test kit and it comes with the DVOM and the fuel gauge and hoses/fittings/etc.

I relieved the pressure, connected the fittings and the gauge and had no leaks.
I did the test and had these results:
-Key ON-engine OFF-----0psi/once.....marginal needle movement/cycling the ignition ON
-Engine running----------20psi consistently, no matter the rpm range
-Shut engine OFF--------Pressure drops back to 0psi within5-10 secs

Any possible explinations?
Thanks

Mods: you can move this if you need to, its turning out to be less modified and more like a noob question. :rolleyes:

Back