• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket headlights

DCVR 614

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
For the past 2 months I have been looking for some aftermarket halo headlights for my 01 Mountaineer and I so far came up with nothing. I have seen ones for the explorer but none for the mountaineer. My question is are there some headlight for the explorer that I can modify for the mountaineer? if not is there some website that makes them for my vehicle? Thanks in advance:salute:

Edit: Im sorry for posting this in the wrong section could someone move this to the performance light section

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So will fit perfectly or will I need to modify them?

not for a 2001 Merc. I may be wrong but you probably could swap out the grilled on yours with and older Mountineer and get Explorer headlights to fit it. You'll probably have to talk to someone with a Merc though I know they used to look exactly like the Explorers in the front end, but they changed.. maybe in '98?? Someone will probably chime in to help.

EDIT: (sorry for the huge Wikipedia pictures)
1998 was the year it changed

1995-1998
1997-Mercury-Mountaineer.jpg

1998-2001
1998-2001_Mercury_Mountaineer.jpg

There MIGHT be a way you could switch to the old style grill and fit those headlights. I'm not for certain though.

Thanks for the replies. Switching grilles doesn't sound like a bad idea. Does someone know if its possible to switch grilles to an older model?

I'm in the same boat as you... I want different headlights but not a different shape. I also want clear corners... I swear I saw someone that has them on a mountaineer that has MY headlights not the kind the explorer had.. but I can't remember who

Yeah, I have been looking at junk yards for a 95-98 mountaineer but so far came up with nothing. Is it possible just to buy a replacement grill online? or would I have go to a junk yard?

I like the painted grill and clear corner look with the Mountaineer.

I was contemplating putting a very very light tint on the headlights and corner lights.

Mine:
DSC00518.jpg

The 98-01 Mounty head lights have a different fiberglass header panel behind the grille than a Explorer. You can not simply just place or change the Mounty grille and head lights onto the Explorers (95-01). The header panel must be changed to accept the Mounty head lights.
I have the Mounty grille on my Explorer and love the shape of the Mounty head lights which are a little bit smaller in size compared to the Explorers. I too have searched for newer projector type Mounty head lights, but have found none. Once in a while I see clear corners for the Mounty on E-Bay. "1996ex", I love your speed grille which is similar to mine.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies I think I might just keep the orginal headlights or I might change the grille. How difficult would of be? is it something a novice like me could do?

1996explorerxlt, I love the way that looks! Is there any way I can do that to my 1998 Exploder?

1. You would have to cut out your stock grill to the correct size(your choice), I used my Dremel tool.

2. Purchase the grill material(I got mine from ebay) and cut it to the correct size(about 2 inches or so larger in each direction).

3. Cut one inch out of the outer edge every other inch or so and bend it around the back of the grill.

4. I then used fiberglass resin to attach it to the grill. I may have used two-part epoxy too, I dont remember.

I am praying nothing happens to this grill, I dont think I have the patience to do it again(I am getting lazier as I get older, plus I own a house now). I think I like the fact that its painted the most. I would probably just paint a factory one if I did it again.

I love how they are advertised as "JDM" Black Projector Lights.

Retailers looks like complete morons when they start marketing things labeled as "JDM" (Japanese Domestic Market) on headlights/accessories/parts for Domestic-branded/Euro vehicles.

Anything to "sound" cool, I suppose.

Either way, the lights look pretty sharp...

I agree, JDM is an acronym for "Ricer".

I have the same lights in chrome and have been very happy with them since I scored on a EF Group Buy a year ago. I just put up some links in that Group Buy thread. Price is now down to $200/shipped to the lower 48.

Go here for more info.

They're a great deal at that price. I saw a recent listing in the For Sale threads on this site. Seller got them for free after the vendor he bought them from screwed up his order and he wants $205/shipped. His aren't brand new anymore as he installed them and used for them a short while. There shouldn't be much wear and tear on those so it's an OK deal considering they've only been installed once and used for a few days.

$200/shipped is a steal for these lights and is the best price I've seen them for online. We paid $250/shipped for them in the group buy and I thought they were a good deal at that price. They're fairly well made (although the wiring is a bit flimsy).

More discussion on the lights can be found here.

Celly, I agree about the great price $200.00 for the new projectors for the Explorers. Brand new is much better IMHO than taking an chance on a used pair of projectors from a non professional installation.

I agree, JDM is an acronym for "Ricer".

Well it's sad that it's become that way, but it certainly wasn't always the case.

"JDM" didn't really become a fad until 5-6 years ago, when it became some sort of misused "catch phrase" like "NOS" and what have you.

The reality of it, is that most JDM parts are substantial upgrades to their USDM counterparts, due to both different restriction on emissions, and a different purpose and vision for the cars sold here, than sold overseas (particularly in Japan).

JDM stuff used to be appreciated by the few people who actually recognized it, and certainly not flaunted around. The differences were always subtle, and to most people, you would never know, other than the occasional part tha t was 'Mugen' or 'Spoon' branded, etc.

Nowadays, retarded-ass kids have "JDM windshield wiper squirters"... I mean, come on now. It's pathetic, and a shame really.

I have a friend who has won the 'JDM' Class countless times with his RHD, Glass-Top JDM CRX SiR, and for the most part, people can't appreciate the uniqueness here in the states for what it is, and would prefer to drive some dumbass thing with a huge aluminum wing on the back, clear taillights, and some knock-off piece of trash, unpainted bodykit.

*facepalm*

Back