• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket headunit + sync

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
I've done some investigating, and I may replace my factory 6cd head unit with an aftermarket clarion nx501. From what i have gathered, with the right harnesses I can retain steering wheel controls, and the sub. I'd like to know if i can retain the sync features such as verbal commands and the usb and audio input jacks in the console. I know the clarion has input jacks and some voice commands built in, but i'd also like the ability to use the existing jacks. I believe the PAC unit that retains sync would utilize an additional little screen/module of its own, and i'd like to stay away from that. could the ford oem input jacks be wired into 'aux 1 and aux 2' on the clarion?

also - will my reverse park assist still work through the clarion head unit?

finally - my car has OEM sirius, the clarion unit claims no additional modules if you currently have sirius, anyone confirm, that the headunit will connect to my existing sirius module to play sirius through it? ( i wouldnt need that sirius add-on module)?

not going to make a move if i end up losing current functionality.

(2008 limited with 6cd changer and Sync - no nav)

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting those options carney. I am still researching my options and that helps.

Yeah the separate display for Sync was a show stopper for me. No way I want that thing stuck on the dash somewhere - tacky as all get out! Hopefully soon the aftermarket will figure out how to implement the Sync messages into their HU without a separate display.

The new Kenwood unit is supposed to maintiain Ford Sync Functionality in the new headunit with the Maestro Link. It may be worth checking out.

Back