Aftermarket headunit with metra/maestro install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket headunit with metra/maestro install

Cusefan78

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 base
02473F10-39DD-4158-BCD4-6424986C77DE_zpskftsvtsa.jpg

the morning installing a headunit, maestro and metra kit into my 13 base model. Here is what I did.

Turn on the car and shut off the radio then the car. (Very important step)

The radio comes out by removing the two grey trim pieces on each side of the radio. They pull right out.

Remove 4 screws that hold on the radio panel.

Unplug the antenna, Ac control plug and the panel lifts out.

Remove the 4 screws that hold the 4.5" screen

Remove the 4 screws that hold the 4.5" screen mounts

Remove the 4 screws that hold the CD player then slide that out and unplug it.

Now you will have an empty bay.

If you don't have sat radio and want to add it, you will now remove the existing antenna harness. Trace it back behind the glove box to the passenger kick panel. Unplug the antenna and discard.

Install in its place ford part number bb5z-18812-d. Our antennas include the sat antenna. By replacing the cable you can now use the factory antenna for sat radio. Run that back to the radio cavity and plug all the pushpins into place. Now remove the yellow plastic plug that surrounds the sat plug on the radio side. Plug that into a Sirius receiver and secure it with electrical tape. I wrapped it around lengthwise and it's holding. Did the same thing with my last escape with no problems.

Now grab your radio and your maestro kit plug it into the computer and flash the module. You'll need the radio model and serial numbers.

Back to the suv

Wire the f02 harness from idatalink to the radio harness. Follow the instructions that are online with maestro.

Plug the Sirius receiver into the back of the radio.

This is where you'll install any amps or backup cameras. I just added a backup camera. Run the microphone to where you want it and plug that in. Zips tie all the wires together and push the radio into place With the tabs that come with the metra kit. Use the 4 screws you took out of the CD player and secure the headunit. Now remove the 4 screws that hold the vents to the original dash kit. Then start at one end and push the top four tabs the vent will slide out. Attach the vents to the metra dash kit. Attach the 4.5" screen to the metra kit. Plug the harness into the metra and the 4.5" screen. You are now ready to put the dash together. Goes together in reverse.

Using the kit you will retain heat and Ac controls for front and back, retain steering wheel controls, add Sirius, add Bluetooth, and much better sound.

For the backup camera there is a great install write up online.
http://2013explorerdiy.blogspot.com/2013/05/2013-ford-explorer-base-diy-backup.html
only difference is i got a license plate mount and i ran it to the head unit. the install is basically the same though.

Lastly I ran a usb to the glove box for an iPod or hard drive with movies and music

I also ran a lightning cable to the center console flip up storage compartment for my phone and CarPlay.

Very easy install. In all it took me 3 hours and that includes installing the backup camera, an idatalink remote start and the radio. Next I'm going to attempt fog lights and new speakers.

01DF194E-3B04-4097-88BF-8B7F0FE19729_zpsg41yixdc.jpg

92698AB4-FDB0-4818-BDCF-82443F1756C2_zpsgahqrfsx.jpg

1101B7AE-5D72-4AA0-A32B-039354CDC269_zpsgbqibqrz.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What Pioneer model did you get?

Alright so just to be clear, your radio looked like this before? it was literally plug and play?

Alright so just to be clear, your radio looked like this before? it was literally plug and play?
Yup looked like that and it's plug and play. Just have to wire the headunit to the maestro or PAC harness then plug in the harnesses and flash the unit and you are good to go.im a techs so this stuff doesn't scare me but honestly it's easy.

Looks good.
Are you the same guy with a YouTube vid, installing Sync2 on a Base EX also?

Looks good.
Are you the same guy with a YouTube vid, installing Sync2 on a Base EX also?
No way. I wouldn't waste my time with sync. It's awful. Car play or android auto is way better.where is the video? Can you post a link I wonder how they did it cause the mic and mirror doesn't come with the base model. 613 is that your area code? I have a cottage near Kingston Ontario

No way. I wouldn't waste my time with sync. It's awful. Car play or android auto is way better.where is the video? Can you post a link I wonder how they did it cause the mic and mirror doesn't come with the base model. 613 is that your area code? I have a cottage near Kingston Ontario

I believe it's an older video, before Android Auto was available as an aftermarket option.
Yes, 613 is my area code and I'm about 2hrs away from Kingston.

I believe it's an older video, before Android Auto was available as an aftermarket option.
Yes, 613 is my area code and I'm about 2hrs away from Kingston.

Okay i saw that video. That isn't a stock mft kit. That's a Chinese knock off I was really contemplating it till I did some research. Lots of issues with them and the warranty is a problem. Have to mail the unit to Texas then they mail it to China. You will be without a radio for a month. You can add sync plus mft to your base. The problem is you'll have to get a reprogram plus it'll cost thousands in parts and you'll have to remove the whole dash and and headliner. personally I think the metra kit looks dated with the buttons but it serves its purpose and the aftermarket headunits are way better then stock.

Yup looked like that and it's plug and play. Just have to wire the headunit to the maestro or PAC harness then plug in the harnesses and flash the unit and you are good to go.im a techs so this stuff doesn't scare me but honestly it's easy.
When you say flash the unit, this has do be done at the dealer correct?

When you say flash the unit, this has do be done at the dealer correct?
Nope you plug it into your computer. Need the vehicle vin and the serial number for the radio. Then you'll pick sync or no sync. Then pick your steering wheel button functions and you're good.

My Computer, as in laptop can do this?

What software and cable do we need? I never knew we could connect to a Ford with our laptops. I have only done this with Audi vehicles.

What software and cable do we need? I never knew we could connect to a Ford with our laptops. I have only done this with Audi vehicles.
Cable comes with the maestro kit. The software is online. You go to the idatalink page, download the installer, input the info and click sync.

Hi there. I am reviving this thread! I have a 2016 Ford PIU. Will this Maestro kit work with my base radio? Every time I mentioned that it is a 2016, I get stink faces from techs or installers.

Here is my dash and wheel....

20180329_192526631_iOS.jpg

Thanks!
-Jeff

Back