• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket OEM look Stereo?

exploration1997

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT, and let's just say that the stereo sounds bad. I want to replace it with something that sounds better but looks the same, with the same bubbly architecture and even the same blue backlighting (it's okay if the lighting is a little off). I've seen aftermarket stereos that look like it's a GM radio, so I was wondering if there is anything like this for a ford radio. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out Crutchfield.
I doubt youl find something that looks just like the factory radio but I'm sure youl be able to find something you like. I like the look of my Alpine in my truck with the instalation kit, but everyone has their own prefrence.

I changed the speakers in all 4 doors with a good set of 3-way speakers (Pioneer, I think) and the improvement in sound was amazing. Try that before changing the radio out.

=Vic=

I changed the speakers in all 4 doors with a good set of 3-way speakers (Pioneer, I think) and the improvement in sound was amazing. Try that before changing the radio out.

=Vic=

Thats a good point. My mind was on head units lol. Replacing your speakers with a good after market 3-way will make a dramatic difference.

Closest to bubbly look I could find after a quick search...

Clarion CMD7 (top) and CMD6 (bottom)

x020CMD7-o_front.jpeg

x020CMD6-o_CMD6_01.jpeg

Images courtesy of http:/ /www.crutchfield.com

Thanks very much everyone! I'll use this info and decide by the time I have money for a new stereo!

Back