• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket OHV Intake Hose?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Is anyone on here running one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/Velocity-Con...Q8RWT2&psc=1&refRID=NPA4N90W408MXHQ8RWT2&th=1

I’d like to replace the stock rubber intake hose as it’s starting to reach the end of it’s life. I’ve seen oem style intake replacements for first gen Explorers, but nothing for second gens. I’ll definitely keep the stock air box if I order this kit. I’m guessing it’ll bolt up to the aluminum tube.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't look to me like it bolts to the stock air box, is why it includes that matching filter with it. Also the lone review mentioned it hits a belt so he removed it.

I bought one for my shoc to replace the oem rubber one because I ripped a hole in it I had to modify it to make it work with the original air box and I painted it black it did not come with the correct couplers crap hose clamps
While buying the correct cupping at advanced auto parts my wife found a specture intake it was nice you may want to look into it
I think it was $44

Whatever you choose to do - stick with the stock air box and non-oil coated air filter.

Oil Coated Air Filters (i.e. what is pictured in your link as well as K&N) will wreak havoc on your Ex's MAF sensor.

Your Ex will suffer from pinging, poor gas mileage & poor performance due to the two resistors on the MAF getting coated with oil.

Stick with stock - get a replacement hose at a junkyard or off of Ebay.

Whatever you choose to do - stick with the stock air box and non-oil coated air filter.

Oil Coated Air Filters (i.e. what is pictured in your link as well as K&N) will wreak havoc on your Ex's MAF sensor.

Your Ex will suffer from pinging, poor gas mileage & poor performance due to the two resistors on the MAF getting coated with oil.

Stick with stock - get a replacement hose at a junkyard or off of Ebay.

This is not bad advice since oil-coated filters have lousy filtering performance compared to OEM filters (they allow more particulates through) -- however I have used oil-coated filters on my Explorers for years. I had a MAF problem once probably due to applying too much oil but it has been fine other than that. Moral of the story -- don't overdo the oil and *I believe* it will not be a problem.

However, OE is always best when it comes to keeping your engine clean on the inside.

I’ll definitely stick with the stock air box since it pulls air from the front of the vehicle. I’ve used a k&n in the past and agree about the oil affecting the maf. I’m looking for a new replacement at this point since a used one is likely to have the same issues. I may just end up making my own.

Some people say power steering fluid will rejuvenate the rubber, but once you start putting that on, you probably wouldn't be able to get any kind of patch-goop to stick if you later get a tear in it. By patch-goop I mean something like layering sensor-safe RTV sealant with cloth matting.

Restoring Engine Bay Rubber Pieces

I’ve considered cleaning the intake hose in and out as best as I can, and then spraying the outside with 3M rubber coating. But who knows if it’ll hold up to the heat. I’d rather not have a fire under the hood :D

^ I wouldn't expect any heat related problems as long as you keep it away from the exhaust manifold, which it wouldn't normally be anywhere near touching.

I think I’ll be ok. Operating temperature is rated for 180 degrees and ignition temperature is 400+. So I’ve got bigger problems if temps ever get that high lol. I’ll update with pictures if I go through with it.

Update:

I ended up cleaning the intake hose and spraying it with DEI high temp silicone coating, and I cured it with a heat gun. This stuff is rated for 1500 degrees fahrenheit, so I’m not worried about fires. It’s meant for metal surfaces and exhaust wrap. We’ll see how it holds up on rubber.

I cleaned the intake hose of any contaminants with a brush and purple power, but the black residue wouldn’t stop coming off after a while. I’m assuming the rubber itself is breaking down and scrubbing off. Still this looks way better than the dirty and worn color the hose had before. Let’s see how long it lasts.

FE5130B7-0587-4971-A52E-8A2D484BF8EA.jpeg

Back