• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

aftermarket oil pressure install?

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone, i've finally gotten tired of the dummy oil pressure gauge and want to install an aftermarket gauge that works. I have searched through the forum but can't seem to find any place that shows how to do this? I have a 1996 4.0 OHV. Anyone who can give me a step by step (preferably with pics) i would be real thankful. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Josh

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4 Door Explorer XLT
the OEM oil preasure sender is located on the drivers side of the block near the front of the engine. I would assume you will need to replace that with an aftermarket sender and run either a capillary line or wire depending on the type of sender you get.

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
thanks for the info... no one has a step by step on this though?? I tried to google it but i keep getting all answers for a mustang, and i don't think its quite the same. Thanks.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
You can keep the factor sender and install a "T" and add the sender for an aftermarket gauge. I would recommend an electronic instrument.

Good luck ....

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
how does the electronic differ from a regular autometer gauge?

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I did it a coupla' years ago on mine.
Cake job.
Ya gotta make a Home Depo run to get the afore mentioned T fitting and some teflon tape.
Reltivly easy following the directions that come with the guage ( I used an Autometer electric )

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I did it a coupla' years ago on mine.
Cake job.
Ya gotta make a Home Depo run to get the afore mentioned T fitting and some teflon tape.
Reltivly easy following the directions that come with the guage ( I used an Autometer electric )

monmix, could you possibly take a picture of where you put the T in and the intersection? Thanks! Also do you have a SOHC or OHV or v8?

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I have a SOHC.
Getting a picture might be tough due to the location.
I'll give it a shot though.

Josh is right about the location. If you are facing the wheel house with the wheel off it will be about in the 10:00 position.

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
oh ok that sounds simple enough, i'll take the wheel off and check tomorrow. Thank you.:thumbsup:

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
look upwards behind the fender liner. ( I did the instal with the liner completely removed )
You will see an attachment with ONE wire coming from it.
It pretty much is the only thing you will see sticking out of the engine block.