• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket oil pressure install?

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone, i've finally gotten tired of the dummy oil pressure gauge and want to install an aftermarket gauge that works. I have searched through the forum but can't seem to find any place that shows how to do this? I have a 1996 4.0 OHV. Anyone who can give me a step by step (preferably with pics) i would be real thankful. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the OEM oil preasure sender is located on the drivers side of the block near the front of the engine. I would assume you will need to replace that with an aftermarket sender and run either a capillary line or wire depending on the type of sender you get.

thanks for the info... no one has a step by step on this though?? I tried to google it but i keep getting all answers for a mustang, and i don't think its quite the same. Thanks.

You can keep the factor sender and install a "T" and add the sender for an aftermarket gauge. I would recommend an electronic instrument.

Good luck ....

how does the electronic differ from a regular autometer gauge?

I did it a coupla' years ago on mine.
Cake job.
Ya gotta make a Home Depo run to get the afore mentioned T fitting and some teflon tape.
Reltivly easy following the directions that come with the guage ( I used an Autometer electric )

I did it a coupla' years ago on mine.
Cake job.
Ya gotta make a Home Depo run to get the afore mentioned T fitting and some teflon tape.
Reltivly easy following the directions that come with the guage ( I used an Autometer electric )

monmix, could you possibly take a picture of where you put the T in and the intersection? Thanks! Also do you have a SOHC or OHV or v8?

I have a SOHC.
Getting a picture might be tough due to the location.
I'll give it a shot though.

Josh is right about the location. If you are facing the wheel house with the wheel off it will be about in the 10:00 position.

oh ok that sounds simple enough, i'll take the wheel off and check tomorrow. Thank you.:thumbsup:

look upwards behind the fender liner. ( I did the instal with the liner completely removed )
You will see an attachment with ONE wire coming from it.
It pretty much is the only thing you will see sticking out of the engine block.

Back