Aftermarket Radio For 2019 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Radio For 2019 Explorer?

usmc0656

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer XLT (base)
I've looked at crutchfield, carid, et al. No luck. Has ANYONE successfully replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket one on a late model Explorer (2018 - 2019)? I can't find anything that allows me to do so. I can't find a single thing that allows me to (1) maintain the steering wheel controls, (2) allow the reverse camera with beeping, (3) harness to wire it up, (4) dash kit to install the thing and still have controls like the A/C.

I went cheap (base XLT) because I felt the aftermarket options were a better bang-for-the-buck and I just gut the stock audio system anyway, but I'm now concerned I can't find anything. Is the 2018 Explorer's tech identical to the 2019 tech for the base XLT (no fancy stuff whatsoever installed)? Not that I can find anything for a 2018 anyway, but just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Due to CAN Bus Technology I wouldn't thing you will get anything to work, besides the pure FM functions. If you have an aftermarket rear view cam, this should work, because they are providing a real video signal.
But steering and HVAC controls will be a tough task, if you even get it to work.

But what is you goal for this rebuild? What is the stock equipment on you vehicle?

Are you looking for more/different functionality that the current head unit doesn't offer or just better sound quality?

If sound quality, you can replace speakers with better to a lot better (components) with crossovers, DSP, amps, and whatever.

If head unit, I believe there's a thread or two on the large android touchscreen units a few have installed - I believe they are $600-1K on ebay/similar and some that have converted to the uplevel radios/nav.

Only other thing to do is contact Metra and ask when they expect to have kits for the 16-19 models?

I've looked at crutchfield, carid, et al. No luck. Has ANYONE successfully replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket one on a late model Explorer (2018 - 2019)? I can't find anything that allows me to do so. I can't find a single thing that allows me to (1) maintain the steering wheel controls, (2) allow the reverse camera with beeping, (3) harness to wire it up, (4) dash kit to install the thing and still have controls like the A/C.

I went cheap (base XLT) because I felt the aftermarket options were a better bang-for-the-buck and I just gut the stock audio system anyway, but I'm now concerned I can't find anything. Is the 2018 Explorer's tech identical to the 2019 tech for the base XLT (no fancy stuff whatsoever installed)? Not that I can find anything for a 2018 anyway, but just curious.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It seems that members have had issues finding aftermarket radios that will work in the post 2016 models. I used the 'Search function to check out the 'Modified' subforum and found this thread; 2016 base model ford explorer aftermarket dash kit

Peter

Thanks for the welcome, and the comments. I may be stuck with the stock radio then, and just have to splice into the harness. My concern with this is that radios designed for a specific vehicle tend to have funny settings embedded in their EQs. For example, they may cut down the bass at higher volumes so that the speakers don't distort and it sounds "good". I'd hate to spend a pretty penny on amplifiers and speakers to only be amplifying a disasterous signal designed to support the stock speakers. You can filter out and put gains on frequencies, but you can't add them back in if they're taken out.

Ideally I would like to replace the stock radio and speakers but keep the funcitonality. I did see the aftermarket "tablet" looking Android options, but there doesn't seem to be any for specifically 2019. Both Metra and PAC responded that they haven't "looked into 2016 - 2019 Explorers". I'm wondering if they grouped it this way because that's the years where the tech is similar? Hence, why I asked if there are any differences in tech with previous models. I know they haven't changed the "model" since 2011, but the bells and whistles are changed every year to continue sales on an old model. I'm not sure how far back I can go in years for the same system... does anyone know? I have the SYNC 1 (not 3 that comes in the fancy package), with zero installed options, absolutely basic XLT.

Back