Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread

I don't think that's a very reliable source!
Not sure what you base that on. That's not the only one out there. Also, Livernois has acknowledge a few post ago that a certain amount of back pressure is required.
As always, members are free to believe what they wish.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you look at the livernois catback exhaust it doesn't have a resonator.

Well if you look at the livernois catback exhaust it doesn't have a resonator.
You'll have to discuss that with them. Perhaps there is a built in restriction.I saw a picture of a Magnaflow system that had a midpoint crossover that likely provides the required back pressure.
In any case I'm sure the engineers that designed the OEM system with a resonator did so for a reason

You can read about turbo exhausts here. http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/turbo_exhaust_theory/turbo_exhaust_theory.html

Quotes from Article

Jay Kavanaugh wrote: "FWIW I'm an turbocharger development engineer for Garrett Engine Boosting Systems."

"You want the exhaust velocity to be high upstream of the turbine (i.e. in the header)."

"Downstream of the turbine (aka the turboback exhaust), you want the least backpressure possible. No ifs, ands, or buts."

"less pressure downstream of the turbine is goodness. This approach minimizes the time-to-boost (maximizes boost response) and will improve engine VE throughout the rev range. "

" There is no such thing as cylinder scavenging downstream of the turbine, and hence, no reason to desire high exhaust velocity here. You will only introduce unwanted backpressure."

You can read about turbo exhausts here. http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/turbo_exhaust_theory/turbo_exhaust_theory.html

Quotes from Article

Jay Kavanaugh wrote: "FWIW I'm an turbocharger development engineer for Garrett Engine Boosting Systems."

"You want the exhaust velocity to be high upstream of the turbine (i.e. in the header)."

"Downstream of the turbine (aka the turboback exhaust), you want the least backpressure possible. No ifs, ands, or buts."

"less pressure downstream of the turbine is goodness. This approach minimizes the time-to-boost (maximizes boost response) and will improve engine VE throughout the rev range. "

" There is no such thing as cylinder scavenging downstream of the turbine, and hence, no reason to desire high exhaust velocity here. You will only introduce unwanted backpressure."

+1

That is totally true. The quicker the turbos spool up (exhaust velocity before) and less resitance to spool (backpressure after) = more/quicker boost = more horsepower/lower e.t.

There is a reason turbo racing cars have a short exhaust pipe coming right out of the turbo... If they could build more hp by adding backpressure, they certainly would!

In searching for an aftermarket exhaust, I ran across this thread. Looks like the MF system is now almost double the cost of what it was in 2013?! Was that a special introductory price or something?

In searching for an aftermarket exhaust, I ran across this thread. Looks like the MF system is now almost double the cost of what it was in 2013?! Was that a special introductory price or something?
It seems to have been a 2 into 1 system. You can find current dual MF cat backs around $650.00

Hey everyone,

My exhaust is bent from an accident so I'm thinking of replacing it with something that is a little louder but not too loud. I don't want any drones because I do road trips in my Explorer and plenty of highway.

I saw this video of the CGS system and the system seems like a good balance for me. Anyone have this exhaust and what are your opinions on it?

Also, I have a few questions, do exhaust upgrades really mean improved HP and torque numbers?

What can I expect for the cost of install for an aftermarket exhaust? Or is it something I can do myself?

Hey guys, my baby got a bruise and adjuster added in exhaust almost 800 dollars. wondering a couple of things.

1. is it worth it to kick in a bit and change out the cat back? I would like a little throatier sound
2. what is the consensus on this forum for a good cat back system.. good sound with little drone. and I want to keep the rectangular pieces so it remains looking stock.

any help would be great as I would like to get her in the shop ASAP
thanks

Hey guys, my baby got a bruise and adjuster added in exhaust almost 800 dollars. wondering a couple of things.

1. is it worth it to kick in a bit and change out the cat back? I would like a little throatier sound
2. what is the consensus on this forum for a good cat back system.. good sound with little drone. and I want to keep the rectangular pieces so it remains looking stock.

any help would be great as I would like to get her in the shop ASAP
thanks
There are a few more threads on aftermarket exhausts you can find with the 'Search' feature. Good luck.

Peter

Magnaflow from cats back. louder but not obnoxious. No highway drone.. I put mfs on my 15 sport. My wife and daughter love the truck and not one time have complained of it being to loud... Trust me if it were I would have heard ( lol) about it..

Hey everyone,

My exhaust is bent from an accident so I'm thinking of replacing it with something that is a little louder but not too loud. I don't want any drones because I do road trips in my Explorer and plenty of highway.

I saw this video of the CGS system and the system seems like a good balance for me. Anyone have this exhaust and what are your opinions on it?

Also, I have a few questions, do exhaust upgrades really mean improved HP and torque numbers?

What can I expect for the cost of install for an aftermarket exhaust? Or is it something I can do myself?

There are several other threads on exhausts that you can find with the 'Search' feature.

I'm contemplating replacing my mufflers with something with a little more bark on the throttle. Here's a few I've found on YouTube. Given I have a PIU 3.7L, but I'd imagine that the 3.5L sounds similar. What does everyone have? Pros and cons? Post your setup and of course, videos!

Bump!

Hello Everyone! My name is Eric!!
so, i have a 2016 Explorer sport in platinum white!! i have about 5 months left on my lease and i plan on financing it to KEEP!!!! That's when all the fun will begin!!! I don't have much planned but so far what i have in mind are the following:

Borla Type-S catback exhaust system or Livernois Thunderstorm catback (leaning towards the borla system, i personally think it sounds better)

PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!!! :D
HAPPY MODDING EVERYONE!!

Borla will work with the OEM chrome exhaust panels so it will look stock. Livernois requires that the panels be removed.
I also thing the Borla sounds a bit better. The piping on the Borla is smaller, though it really doesn't matter.

Good Morning and Afternoon Folks. I took some time to read Ford's Warranty guide on a 2015 Explorer. Here's a summary as it relates to Exhaust system modifications:

When considering a modification to any component of the exhaust system *other than muffler replacement* keep in mind that your extended warranty (if active), could be impacted, particularly if your modification has an inadvertent effect on any of the following: Exhaust back-pressure regulator and sensor, exhaust pressure sensor & manifold pressure sensor. Similarly, Ford indicates that any tampering with the Vehicle Emissions Systems, or with related parts that can affect these systems (for example, but not limited to... exhaust and intake systems) that directly or indirectly results in damage to any other component of the vehicle, may not be covered. For most Explorers, additional information can be found in a section described "QUICK REFERENCE: EMISSIONS WARRANTY COVERAGE." In the manufacturer's words, Ford can deny warranty coverage around Emissions-related components if post-delivery modifications appear to have been made to the vehicle that influence the intake or exhaust system.

Hope this helps! If anything, it certainly makes a person think twice about cutting out or re-plumbing any components of the intake/exhaust system.
Has me curious whether modifying the audio system can void your warranty on the electrical system, but we'll leave that for another day, another thread.

Cheers! ~Obi1BonJovi~

Welcome to the Forum Obi1BonJovi.:wave:
The above situation regarding warranty applies to just about any kind of modification made to the Explorer. It is all laid out in the Warranty Guide that comes with the vehicle but which very few owners probably read. The thing to keep in mind is that if the cause of failure of an item is attributed to a modification, then that item will not be covered under warranty.

Peter

One important negative about the Borla system that I forgot about. It requires that the OEM pipes be cut. The Livernois system is bolts to the OEM flanges and does not require any cutting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone. I purchased a 2013 XLT. 3.5NA about 6 months ago. Love it. No complaints at all. However, I'm wanting to replace the exhaust with something that has a little noise to it. Any suggestions for kits or even replacement mufflers that will give it a real nice sound?

Back