Aftermarket Stereo Question?

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
OK. I am doing some pre online shopping for my Ex today. It is a 996 Eddie Bauer V8 4 door AWD. I am almost certain that I am going to purchase the Alpine CDE-123 for my Deck. But I am running into a rather serious question.

My Ex has the JBL luxury stereo. so I have 2 problems right now. First is that I have the 6 disc changer in the center console. I would like to keep it. But doesn't it need some sort of controller??? Has anybody found a way to hook it up?

Second, and most likely the top on my list is, I have the amp for the 4 door speakers in the back. So all of the wires are running to that, and well, it sucks, if I can be blunt about it. Would I have to buy another, better 4 way amp, or can i power the 4 door speakers with the head unit? I would just run wires I guess from the spot in back upfront to the head unit.

Any suggestions would be great. I am very confused with this, usually on all other stereos i have messed with, the head unit does it all, and I just use a pre made harness, but this seems more complex.

I replaced the factory head unit on my '97. More than enough power from the aftermarket deck to power those 4 speakers. In fact, if you leave the factory amp connected you'll be disappointed with the switch, as you'll find a lot of distortion. Factory amp is located behind the panel in the back passenger side pretty well right behind your rear seats if memory serves correct. I'll see what I can find for a wiring diagram so you know which wires to splice together to bypass the amp. As for the 6 disc changer, mine was missing the cassette inside, and never used it so I just pulled it right out. Hope this helps.

The six disc changer in mine never worked right...you would be better off with a USB port.

Back