Aftermarket stereos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket stereos

autigers1970

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
So I've gathered that upgrading pre-2016 models to SYNC3 so Apple CarPlay will work is a no-go, at least for now.

My question then is about aftermarket solutions to gain CarPlay functionality. I've seen a few photos and all of them seem to make it so that the you actually have to install the aftermarket unit down on the bottom rather than up top where the stock screen was. Is that always the case on 2013-2015 models? Has anyone been able to put an aftermarket double din touchscreen unit in and have the screen up top closer to eye level?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

phoenixautomotiveinc.com
I would get the PX6 tesla style model if I was to upgrade. It retains backup camera etc... You have to choose the apple carplay option for it.

It looks as if the 15’ and older are working out fine at least with the one I’m talking about. There’s a couple different one available on their site

phoenixautomotiveinc.com
I would get the PX6 tesla style model if I was to upgrade. It retains backup camera etc... You have to choose the apple carplay option for it.

Doesn't that requite a good bit of custom modifications during the install to make it look right?

They say it's plug n play but haven't looked to much into it.

I found this on Crutchfield and wonder if it would install in the upper part of the dash where the current touchscreen sits?

Pioneer AVH-3500NEX

Just to give a little more detail on my situation:

I don't yet have an Explorer. I'm thinking about getting one because three of my family members have one and like them and my wife really likes them.

Basically I want to be able to use Apple CarPlay. Whether that's getting on of the models that can be updated and sticking with the stock stereo (which, I'd probably look at a 2018 since those seem to get better reliability ratings from Consumer Reports), or finding a solution with an aftermarket unit that doesn't have to be installed down low on the dash, I'm flexible on which year model to get.

Since there are some 2016 models that can actually be updated to SYNC3 and do CarPlay, if I was going to look at an aftermarket unit, maybe a 2015?

Just trying to figure out options.

SYNC 3 will allow CarPlay.

I’d stick with stock. Too much is controlled by the unit. Just my opinion.

SYNC 3 will allow CarPlay.

I’d stick with stock. Too much is controlled by the unit. Just my opinion.

Which model years and stereos are capable of SYNC3? I've seen the Sony unit in the Limited trim, the one with the 8" touchscreen in XLT, and the one with the smaller screens and buttons on each side in the XLT. I'm not clear one which of these or what years can go to SYNC3.

If an Exp has SYNC 2 they can be upgraded to SYNC 3. Search around here and you’ll see. I upgraded my 16 XLT to SYNC 3.

2011-2016 have SYNC 2.
2017-2019 have SYNC 3.

I currently have an 18 Limited with Sony.

If an Exp has SYNC 2 they can be upgraded to SYNC 3. Search around here and you’ll see. I upgraded my 16 XLT to SYNC 3.

2011-2016 have SYNC 2.
2017-2019 have SYNC 3.

I currently have an 18 Limited with Sony.

I was under the impression that nothing prior to 2016 was capable of being upgraded to handle CarPlay, and even then, only certain models.

Poeple here have done it. After you upgrade to SYNC 3 you need to change out the USB hub in the from console.

I was under the impression that nothing prior to 2016 was capable of being upgraded to handle CarPlay, and even then, only certain models.
Mine is a 2015, upgraded to sync3, added CarPlay2air and type-c usb. Now i have wireless carplay and wireless charger for my iphone11. It can be done for 1/2 of what retailers want for the kit.

Addendum to previous post...you must have sync2 or sync with 4”screen.

Back