• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Sunroof?

dave d dizzo

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer SportTrac XLT
Anyone have first-hand experience installing an aftermarket sunroof? Perhaps had one installed in their ST? Putting together my list of planned mods for my new 08 ST and was just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to have the dealer install a Ford kit. The factory sliding moonroof is available to be added by the body shop.

hey

how much is the dealer chargin you?
i really want one
my aunt paid $750 at the dealer for her expedition

I did not get a price yet, going to do it on my next oil change.

oh okay
let me know please thanx

any word on the cost of the ford add-on sunroof?
didnt know they could do that!

I can't afford it right now so I have not pursued it. I have to go to the dealership and pick up something, I'll try to get a answer. They were really too busy the other day.

A girlfriend years ago had it done to her car, it cost her $1000 back in 1990.
The kit from Ford will likely cost over $1000, installation plus any painting. I am guessing $2500, but it would be covered by the trucks warranty.

They shouldn't have to paint and I think 2500 is on the high side you will have to pay what it would cost from the factory + any labor that should be all. I am just guessing here but it seems logical that the factory price would be the same as from the dealer.

What about the headliner and overhead console? the Limiteds had a recessed area for the sunroof to retract. as the rooftop mount would interfere with the sunroof. also, the console for the glasses and remote would have to be replaced with just a light fixture and button for the sunroof and rear window. i bet it is a lot more than you guys think.

Didn't think about that but a headliner and over head consul can't be that much I would think around 1500.00 for the install and parts. Just a spit ball but that is double the price of the factory unit.

When I was asking they told me the headliner and console was in the kit.
I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a ball park from them.

The dealer ask 1700$ for the moonroof track alone on my old 99 cougar!!! I would't be surprise if it cost an arm and a leg for your whole sunroof!
GL

I've been lied to.

Talked to the service manager and then the parts manager today.
There is no package or kit available from Ford.

The parts guy told me they would have sent my truck to American Sunroof where they do their own package. He said it was identical to the Ford installed one in every way. This is the same outfit that installed the one for the ex-girlfriend.

Back