• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Tranny

Rofocowboy84

Reaction score
City, State
Royersford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I was perusing various parts websites as usual and, coming up on that time that I'll need a rebuilt transmission, I took interest in the transmission sections. There seems to be some quality performance-minded transmissions for about half of what a rebuild would cost me. Would it make sense to buy one of those and just have it put in, or would it end up costing more with anything extra that the shop would have to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying PMing Mounty03 to see where he had his tranny rebuilt and for how much. I forgot and will look tomorrow if you don't hear anything by then.

If you don't need performance (like a frozen input shaft) mustang transmissions are exactly the same (at least for the 05 / 5R55S) and 1/3 the price. I bought one they actually took off the engine while I was standing there for like 200 bucks. But if you punch explorer in (same transmission, mind you) the cheapest is like 800 for a ragged out one. (shrugs) I don't get it.

Shawn

If you don't need performance (like a frozen input shaft) mustang transmissions are exactly the same (at least for the 05 / 5R55S) and 1/3 the price. I bought one they actually took off the engine while I was standing there for like 200 bucks. But if you punch explorer in (same transmission, mind you) the cheapest is like 800 for a ragged out one. (shrugs) I don't get it.

Shawn

I have a 2005 V6 w/Auto 4x4. Which mustang tranny would work (year and which motor)??? This would save me a TON!

bump

sorry!

I haven't been in here in awhile. The auto I have according to ford and the tag on the trans is a 5R55S. Not W, and not N.

5R55S is the transmission I got out of the mustang to put my improved parts into then shove into the explorer.

Shawn

Back